Author Topic: Auto Restart Vixen  (Read 1855 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
Auto Restart Vixen
« on: December 11, 2012, »
Hi All

Been out of the hobby for a while and was wondering if anyone has seen a good way to fully restart Vixen/Computer when an issue is detected.

For a couple reason, I am technically chained to Vixen 2.5.0.8+
For better or worse I plan to keep it that way, as I need it for some plugin development I want to do, and don't want to go to Vixen 3.0 yet. (But I could be convinced, anyone know if input plugins work with it? Is it reliable?)

For whatever reason, maybe my plugin, maybe Vixen its pretty standard to have to restart the program once a night maybe more.

I am seriously thinking of a little micro, with a light sensor and a watchdog timer.
If light no change for more than a minute, restart computer.
Auto start Vixen.
At this point I am not sure if there is a way to have a program start automatically??? I always have to click restart current timers?
I could always program in mouse clicks to make this happen, but would prefer an easier way.

Has anyone out there build a standard Light Show hardware watchdog that will restart everything if something failes?

Seems like something people would want...
If it doesn't exist, and I build it, would you want one?

Thanks
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Auto Restart Vixen
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, »
You can put the vixen short cut in the windows start menu. So whenever the computer restarts it will start up Vixen.

Not sure about the rest, but have fun with that

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, »
I was thinking something similar yesterday actually ... Was more thinking about the setup needed to get feedback that show was running properly - I can remote into my show pc but that only tells me what the software is doing, which doesn't always correlate to the lights outside

Security cameras is one thought but that still requires me to notice it ... No automated alert or action unless I got really sophisticated

Unfortunately for most common issue, would also need remote method to reset my tripped gfci

For stopping and restarting vixen you can use a batch program with simple commands

Would still need a way to trigger the batch program, but I am thinking an arduino and some sensors could do the trick

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, »
Same thought process, everything is easy except for the hardware and/or hitting the "Restart Current Timers" Button.
I guess keyboard shortcuts might make hitting that easier and more reliable.

A basic photoresistor should be all you need. An Arduino, while easy, would be like using an Indy car to open your front door.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if you could directly read a signal with just a photoresistor, some resistors and a USB to serial device? All you need to read is 255 and 0.... Hummmm...

While the remote login thing works, and I have done that, its still annoying.
Especially when your still at work and trying to do that via a tiny smart phone screen.

I personally haven't had many GFCI issues, but techincally you could probably set up some solenoids to autmatically reset them.

Someone has to have already done this?
Boucher Family Lights

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, »
I was thinking something similar yesterday actually ... Was more thinking about the setup needed to get feedback that show was running properly - I can remote into my show pc but that only tells me what the software is doing, which doesn't always correlate to the lights outside

Security cameras is one thought but that still requires me to notice it ... No automated alert or action unless I got really sophisticated

Unfortunately for most common issue, would also need remote method to reset my tripped gfci

For stopping and restarting vixen you can use a batch program with simple commands

Would still need a way to trigger the batch program, but I am thinking an arduino and some sensors could do the trick

depending on your "remote" method, depending on your settings, when you connect in, redirects the sound (usually to the person connecting in) and away from the pc's soundcard. (thus disabling the music to your show)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, »
depending on your "remote" method, depending on your settings, when you connect in, redirects the sound (usually to the person connecting in) and away from the pc's soundcard. (thus disabling the music to your show)

Agree ... This can be a problem if you don't account for it

I've also encountered issues with changes being made remotely not being retained by the subject machine ... Haven't taken the time to determine what exact sequence of events or circumstances determines this, or if it was a fluke and the lag on remote connection fooled me to think a checkbox was unchecked and it actually just wasn't refreshed on the remote screen yet

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, »
Did a little lookin tonight and yes, you can actually set up multiple digital inputs from a serial port. Using the clear to send and other lines. So i think  all i need is a usb to serial couple photo restors and a 2.2 kohm resistor. Then make a little box, wire up some c9 s in it, stick sensor in, hook up and write some software. If no change in state for 3 minutes send email, restart computer, start vixen. Repeat. Under 20 bucks easy, maybe under 10.
Boucher Family Lights