Author Topic: Is there a way to read a SSC and know what its channel set is?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

Short of running something like xlights in test mode and selecting a set of channels, is there a way to find out what channels are programmed into a SSC?

I am assuming my channel start number is off on some of my SSC because during part of my sequences I have them all programmed the same, but they display different colors. Someone mentioned skipping numbers would cause this but did not think it would be a problem from within a sequence. If that is true then I have something else going on. I have eight 128 node strings programmed each in its own universe in LOR3. This leaves two channels not used, could they be the issue? Also, some of the strings are not that long, but I am only programming in hybrid string mode so i did not think that would be an issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, by FireMedic4Christ »

Offline tbone321

One thing that you would need to look at is not only the channel number. but the type of smart string nodes you programmed the controller for.  Different node types have a different color order.  There is no easy way to tell what the node is programmed for as they are one way devices.  By that I mean that they can only receive commands, not send data back.  You can either use Xlights in test mode as you said or you can simply reprogram them to what you want then to be and mark them somehow for future reference. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I put a label with channels numbers on my "pipe bomb" when I program them, but even then if I get a question I just reprogram them since it is so fast to do.  The labels I use are printed using the cheap little brother thermal label printer.  Weather does not seem to bother them.  You do not have to have the exact string connected, just enough bulbs to make sure you get the flashing.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
^^^   +1

this is what i do
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I just put on some electrical tape and write the channel assignment on that with a weatherproof sharpie marker.  Then if I want to change it, throw another on instead. Odds are that as you where thinking, something is going to a different channel range than your thinking.   I'm surprised nobody has thrown a cheap switch or toggle on those things which allows you to reprogram it (set the jumper) without opening up the PVC ... because to me, thats the biggest drag, because I also caulk the PVC caps and have to break that seal each time. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline fyb2000

Taybrin,
Having both cables exiting the PVC on the same side, would allow you to open it without breaking the seal (assuming you have the cable exiting on the cat5 side, opposite to where the jumper is).

Offline zwiller

Twas kinda tedious at the time but I checked all my programming with xlights before they went outside.  Really glad I did.  I checked first and last nodes specifically to ensure proper direction.  I had to reprogram many of them several times as I made various mistakes, transposed numbers, wrong direction etc.  I am using 5k channels over 2 PN universes.  I probably spent 2 weeks doing it when originally I expected to do it over morning coffee the day of the big setup.   :o

I just wrote the info with pencil since my ssc's will remain mounted to my elements. 

I had a Seinfeld moment during setup this year.  I found the fancy Brother labels had mostly peeled off my numbered extension cords on my LEs during storage...  Probably summer heat.  YMMV.  I am sticking to sharpies or may invest in a paint marker.  May use some white electrical tape to make the numbers jump out more.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
While I admire those of you with the patience to print nice labels ... I personally had two problems with that approach: speed (slow) and size (too small).

My system the last couple years is to use yellow (or other bright colored) electrical tape ... and then write on it with the sharpy.  Large print and put the number in several places, to make reading it virtually foolproof from any angle.

Now I'm mainly talking about controller cord ends, not SSC labels here..

The main thing is FINDING the cord ends is assisted by the bright colors, esp. on controller cord ends ... and the big #'s can be read and found in a GLANCE, even by aging eyes. 

So while I started doing those labels myself ... I now curse the onces left like this, because they are so much harder to read in the field and finding the cord ends (esp. if your cords are long) is much harder without the neon ends.

Just an opinion, nothing more.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I only use printed labels on the SSCs and on my LE and SSR4 cases.  For power cords there is nothing like a bright sharpie marker.  For coax cable of varying lengths I have been using these write on labels that include a clear overwrap.

I put the use / element name on them, such as DMX (goes to my transmitter), pixelnet (goes to my etherdongle), WL (goes to my left window), etc  On my spt2 wires I also have measured them and put the length on the label.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

i tag (with the label maker) the SSC's, and LE channels.
the SSC's I tag each one, right after it's been programmed, so i know what order it is (SSC03) and what channels it handles, incase i need to focus on that area if there's a problem. (281-400)

i usually attach my extension wires to the LE prior to taking it outside (learned that mistake last year)
i thought i'd need to label them, but opening the door as you plug stuff in helps you keep track. (plus the onboard test is the verification)

extension cords, i don't need to mark, as I only use about 4.

spt cables, and cat5 cables, i lay out bu distances, and then pick and choose what i need for where it's going.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
While I admire those of you with the patience to print nice labels ... I personally had two problems with that approach: speed (slow) and size (too small).

I'm admired.  Is that a good thing?  ;D

I broke down and bought a label maker this year.  It works well and looks very neat.

Offline chrisatpsu

example

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
No need for the WARNING label.  If they are that close, they have more things to worry about hitting them than 120 volts.

Offline chrisatpsu

i was thinking of a CYA thing, just in case...

Offline CW

Brian,
I had a similar issue with colors being off.  I made a simple test sequence in S3 with my channel config that would turn on the first second and third channels of that SSC and then all red, green and blue channels for the smart string.  This was helpful in debuging the issue.  I ended up programming -1 for the start channel on the SSC for each controller in universe 3 and above.  Some were hybrid, some are individual programmed backwards.  I have read about this issue before but I don't understand why. 

So for example, string 3 in S3 starts at 2343, I had program the the SSC for a start channel of 2342, and it is working great.
Universe 2 SSC are programmed the same as the sequence, pole 3 is 639 in S3, and the SSC is 639.

Craig