Author Topic: A few tips on getting the LSP scheduler to run reliably  (Read 1506 times)

Offline peteandvanessa

I had alot of issues with the LSP scheduler on getting it to run reliably during Halloween.

If you are seeing issues with the Scheduler, here's a few things you can try to improve playback in the Scheduler:

1. Always re-boot your machine before starting to build a schedule

2. Always re-build your shows in the scheduler each time you want to run a show

3. Before loading the sequences into the scheduler always remove unused intervals in the sequencer and save

4. Before loading the sequences into the scheduler always optimize the entire sequence in the sequencer and save

5. If you are using alot of transitions and/or Macros in a sequence and that sequence is causing light lag in the scheduler, reduce the amount of frames each transition/macro is using in the sequence
(e.g if it's using 15 frames per second, try it at 10 frames or even 5 frames per second)

6. If you are using alot of transitions and/or Macros in a sequence and that sequence is causing light lag in the scheduler, try removing some of the transitions/macros and replace they with simple fade ons, offs, that will allow the scheduler to catch up to the music

7. Always run the scheduler as an admin

8. If the lights are lagging try increasing the effect generation timing from the default 30mS, to 60mS, or 100mS (it will decrease lag, but at some point it will start dropping commands to the lights and they won't fire on time, or not at all)

9. Try and reduce the number of sequences loaded into the scheduler, the scheduler is sensitive to not only the complexity of the sequence, number of effects used, number of timing marks, length of the sequence, but also the number loaded into the scheduler.

Hope that might help someone

Offline zwiller

Re: A few tips on getting the LSP scheduler to run reliably
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, »
Thanks Pete.  This helped me tremendously already and I am looking forward to seeing if cleaning intervals and optimizing helps a particularly large sequence that is lagging during heavy transitions.  I can tell it made a difference since loading it into the scheduler was much faster after. 

Hope you have a Christmas show next year! 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks Pete.  This helped me tremendously already and I am looking forward to seeing if cleaning intervals and optimizing helps a particularly large sequence that is lagging during heavy transitions.  I can tell it made a difference since loading it into the scheduler was much faster after. 

Hope you have a Christmas show next year!

I can share with you that my most complex sequence that showed light lag, was a sequence that used alot of Color slider Macros. The sequence was running about 5,000 channels of LED Flexstrips, via LSP scheduler and an Etherdongle connected to two Smart String Active Hubs. The sequence file was about 30Mega Bytes in Size. Now this sequence will run just fine in the LSP Scheduler without light lag, IF it was loaded into the scheduler on it's own, but if I loaded additional (and simpler) sequences into the scheduler along side the more complex sequence, the lights would lag.
The more sequences loaded into the scheduler, the more the lights lagged on the complex sequence.

I looked at the Color slider Macros and their frame rate. LSP had used a frame rate of 15 frames per second by default, so I decreased the frame rate down to 10 frames per second and also decreased the number of macros used. That went a long way to decreasing the lights lagging. The final tweak to get rid of the lights lagging on the complex sequence, was to use simple fades or ON/OFF effects in the areas that showed significant light lag, that allowed the LSP scheduler to "Catch up" and keep the lights in Sync with the music.

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, »
<shameless plug>Or just use light elf to export to xLights, or the conductor, and have no lag in any of your sequences.  Not matter how many or how complex</shameless plug> 8)

All that aside thanks for posting this Pete! I know a lot of people fight with LSP and the scheduler so anything to help bring them some peace and sanity is a good thing!

Frank

I should note, especially since Pete has seen my display, that I do have some lag in my show but it is actually on some LOR created sequences and seems to only occur with mp3 playback.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, »
If I create a schedule then go into and change the sequence, could that cause issues?  At this point my schedule is pretty set but I may go and clean things up further in my sequences.  Or do I redo schedule after? 

Frank, I think Light Elf is a viable option but I just couldn't get the conductor stable enough to go that far.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, »
<shameless plug>Or just use light elf to export to xLights, or the conductor, and have no lag in any of your sequences.  Not matter how many or how complex</shameless plug> 8)

All that aside thanks for posting this Pete! I know a lot of people fight with LSP and the scheduler so anything to help bring them some peace and sanity is a good thing!

Frank

I should note, especially since Pete has seen my display, that I do have some lag in my show but it is actually on some LOR created sequences and seems to only occur with mp3 playback.

I did want to go to Xlights as the scheduler, but for me I couldn't get it to map the DMX channels correctly, I think it's related to the AC16 controllers from D-Light that were converted to DMX. Next year I plan on replacing them with DLA Lynx Express (I have two coming this week)

I do have a conductor that is working great, with no lagging, but I didn't have that in time for Halloween (but will make full use of it for next year).

I see that LSP now has a 64Bit option, but even then a few folks have had Light lag with the latest 64Bit version (so conductor and XLights will probably help me next year)

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, »
If I create a schedule then go into and change the sequence, could that cause issues?  At this point my schedule is pretty set but I may go and clean things up further in my sequences.  Or do I redo schedule after? 

Frank, I think Light Elf is a viable option but I just couldn't get the conductor stable enough to go that far.

Update your sequence, optimize, remove unused timing and then save.

Then rebuild the show in the sequencer