Author Topic: Very Simple 4 Channel Show. Advice Appreciated  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Hellok

Very Simple 4 Channel Show. Advice Appreciated
« on: December 12, 2012, »
Hello,

My name is Taylor. Happy Holidays to everyone.

I've been researching over the past week, and most of the info I find is beyond me or the products are outside of my budget.

I'm interested in just making or buying the simplest controller possible with minimal channels (four is all I need), that can be controlled via computer with Vixen or something similar.

My budget is really only around $30 with a little wiggle room. I saw the Lynx SSR4-DMX. I don't know if this satisfies my needs entirely, but it does seem close. I just can't find much info about it. I also discovered the Renard SS8 which is almost perfect, besides the fact that it's just slightly too complex for what I need and a bit outside of my budget.

Mostly this is a learning process for me. I want to start out pretty simple and work my way up. I'd consider making something with 2 channels if it's significantly cheaper and will help me learn. I hope to use the controller I get for band light shows as well. I know how to solder and am fairly crafty. I do some woodwork, titanium work, etc. I know very little about electronics though. So, I would preferably need fairly detailed instructions for a build.

I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Taylor

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
Re: Very Simple 4 Channel Show. Advice Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, »
you will need a little more than just a SSR4. you will need a dongle. One option could be a mr christmas music box it is 6 channels and if you look hard you can find them for around 49.00 . Then you can start buying and building lynx equipment for 2013 :)

Offline rm357

Very Simple 4 Channel Show. Advice Appreciated
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, »
Can't do the band show.
One of the things you agree to is that lynx equipment is for personal home use. It is a violation of DLA rules to use lynx equipment in a commercial setting - this includes schools, theaters, churches, etc. Everything here is in the form of build it yourself kits or something that another individual has built and no longer needs. There is no warranty or UL listing. However, we do have a really good support team... Most of the discussions on this board are people helping people.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Hellok

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, »
Okay thanks. I'm also just looking for info on the basics so that I can buy what I need to make my own if need be. What does it take? A relay board...?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, »
are you looking for simple on/off? or being able to dim the lights as well?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Hellok

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
are you looking for simple on/off? or being able to dim the lights as well?

Dimming would be preferable, but if it's going to make things significantly more complicated or expensive, I can certainly do without. I generally like to approach new unfamiliar projects with the easiest method possible so that it will be easier for me to improve, rather than taking on a massive undertaking and getting discouraged.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, »
my first year, before I even found out about this place.  I built a parallel 12 controller which is purely on/off.  but it requires an old style 25pin parallel port of your computer. and the controller can never be more than about 12 feet away from the computer so it does have some limitations.

Offline Hellok

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, »
Awesome. That's all I'm really looking to do for now. I just need to practice and get used to everything, you know?

That's fine for my purposes. Any chance you can give me some instructions to build something similar? Perhaps with some updated modifications? Will it work with an adapter for the 25 pin?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, »
I can't find the write I used as my start.

it involves using the 8 data pins of the parallel port, and using them to trigger Relays, or SSR's

in my case, i didn't have enough current from the port to power the relays, so i used transistors and a 5v+ source to trigger the relays.
It's still a little sketchy since it's been 2 years since I built it.

Offline Hellok

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, »
Does anybody have instructions for a simple build that will work for me?

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, »
Does anybody have instructions for a simple build that will work for me?

The article that started it all for many ... I wonder where Hill Robertson is now?

\dmc

PS: Other takes on this problem can be had by entering the phrase "parallel port christmas lights" (without quotes) into yr favorite search engine.

Offline molton

• Lightput - for simple everyday DIY light animation
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, »
if you need 4 channels of DMX controlled LED lighting, consider eldoLED.  I bought 2 of their powerdrive ac drivers and I'm happy, I haven't actually had a chance to use my 100w driver from them, I'm building up the light its being used for this weekend, I'm going to make a thread on my light software project, Lightput's, homepage about the build.  I'll post a link when it's ready.

The driver Im using for this project is a powerdrive106M, it was almost $300. It's AC powered and it's built to be used with the brightest 1-10W LED's available, Like Cree and Luxeon Rebel LEDs.  There are cheaper DC options though I think for led strips etc.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, by molton »
Lightput - for simple everyday DIY light animation