Author Topic: LOR DMX Network  (Read 11053 times)

Offline garyh

LOR DMX Network
« on: December 12, 2012, »
First off, Light Elf awesomely converts my LSP 1680 pixel matrix to xseq with no issues.

The problem I'm having is I'm trying to use Light Elf to convert my LOR (5 boards-channels 1-80) and DMX (channels 81-408--some gaps in channels) to xseq.

In the past, I did this, open the exported LOR S2 file using UltraEdit, search for channel 81, then do a find/replace:
deviceType="LOR" unit="1"     --->  deviceType="LOR" network="1" unit="1"
That way the first 80 channels used the LOR USB dongle, and the next 81-408 channels would use the DMX Lynx dongle.

Light Elf picked up the right protocols for each controller so are the zones the problem?  I've attached my log file, xlights setup and the sequence Light Elf created.
Thanks for any help

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
Re: LOR DMX Network
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, »
Can you describe your channel and zone configuration for the LOR and DMX channels in LSP?

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
First off, Light Elf awesomely converts my LSP 1680 pixel matrix to xseq with no issues.

The problem I'm having is I'm trying to use Light Elf to convert my LOR (5 boards-channels 1-80) and DMX (channels 81-408--some gaps in channels) to xseq.

In the past, I did this, open the exported LOR S2 file using UltraEdit, search for channel 81, then do a find/replace:
deviceType="LOR" unit="1"     --->  deviceType="LOR" network="1" unit="1"
That way the first 80 channels used the LOR USB dongle, and the next 81-408 channels would use the DMX Lynx dongle.

Light Elf picked up the right protocols for each controller so are the zones the problem?  I've attached my log file, xlights setup and the sequence Light Elf created.
Thanks for any help

Why all the Mulitcast Universes? I Do not understand why they are there from these posts?

If you only need 1 Universe then you just setup the 1 Universe in Xlights for the connection and dongle you are using and that is all.

If all the channels in your file are "Network 1" then you only need the above mentioned connection.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline garyh

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, »
frankr, everything is on the same zone, didn't know if xlights looked at the channel number. 
--right now I'm just trying to get LOR 1-80 channels out the LOR dongle and channels 81-408 out the DMX dongle.  If that's different zones in LSP then let me know.
--in the past I just added network=1 to all the DMX channels and xlights worked fine.

Dennis, the multicast are for the 12 universes of the matrix driven by an ECG-P12R.  Xlights works fine to convert all 12 universes out on the matrix without me having the LOR/DMX stuff in there, but right now I'm trying to get the LOR/DMX side to work first so I can combine it all :-)

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, »
Hi Gary,

So the LOR channels are literally numbered channels 1-80 inside of LSP and all in zone one? with the DMX channels being numbered 81-408?

Frank

Offline garyh

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, »
yes sir  :)

I have 5 LOR controllers, then 5 DMX Lynx Expresses and various other RGB devices, but they are all DMX.

Usually I just put network=1 in manually editing the LOR S2 output from LSP, but that's gonna be tedious with a 12 universe matrix.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, by garyh »

Offline garyh

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, »
I'll try and put the DMX on Zone/Network 2...

Offline garyh

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, »
doesn't work, guess I'll have to look at LOR S2 exports to see what difference Network/zone 2 makes

probably be easier to just do the crossover cable and switch LOR to DMX  :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, by garyh »

Offline garyh

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, »
every year when I try DMX on the LOR boards I remember why I didn't do it before...  LOR boards on DMX is just ugly... can't even get the tree to do good chases. 
So I'm back to LOR 1-80 channels with DMX 81-408. 

Wonder how the other guys do LOR and DMX dongles with LSP?

Offline garyh

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, »

ran across this thread, it was the same thing I was doing manually before.  I never set my LOR network to 0, so I'll try that and see how Light Elf works.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, »

ran across this thread, it was the same thing I was doing manually before.  I never set my LOR network to 0, so I'll try that and see how Light Elf works.

Yes, you have to remove the LOR dongle setup, but I thought you where using it from your posts.

When setting up XLights you have to pay attention to Matts information about mapping, it is very valuable.

You do not need any LOR dongles connected or assigned if using just DMX with LOR.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline garyh

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, »
Dennis, due to LSP adding crazy timing marks for imported LOR files, running LOR via DMX just doesn't seem to work out.  But I'm making progress with Frank's script.

Frank, can you attach the setnet.py script that looks at circuits?  SavedIndexes only work if you use that channel.  On the matrix I don't use a lot of channels.  Yes I thought about turning them all on black at the end, but sometimes I don't use all my LOR/DMX items in a sequence.

So circuit="7" would work much better than savedindex if I didn't use the 3 things above it :)

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, »
color me a little confused... Can you post your LSP file for me to look at?  Also, your xlights_networks.xml file would be helpful as well.  This should work through light elf so I am a little confused as to what is going on.

I think the attached script should work with circuits rather than savedIndex.  since I started workign on Light elf I have not payed much attention to the old method as is kludgey.

On thing to note. You will need to update another part of your LSP export file as well (at least to my knowledge this has not been fixed in LSP)
See this thread:

Frank

Offline garyh

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, »
frank, light elf works great for LOR/DMX dongles.  Since I've always manually edited the LOR file for network="1" for the DMX part, I never zoned anything in LSP.  Without zoning Light Elf would just put the DMX in the LOR dongle. 

So I believe everything is OK now, haven't got to the matrix part yet (12 universes) but zoning was the issue.

Thanks again guys for the help!

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, »
If the 12 universes start there numbering in LSP at 1 then you will want to put each controller into zone3 to get light elf to map them right.

Frank