Author Topic: Single Power input Mod  (Read 3164 times)

Offline mitch09

Single Power input Mod
« on: December 13, 2012, »
After building and using my 8 LEs I have decided that I really should just mod them to a single power input. I will run anywhere near 20 amps per LE. I am averaging 4amps per. due to the use of 90% LED. The dual input can be a pain to run another extension cord or a splitter. It just causes more chances for the rain to cause problems.

My question is this; When I add the wires to the bottom for the mod do I then desolder the right power input or can I leave it on? In the build manual it says to not even put it on.

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Re: Single Power input Mod
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, »
This is electricity we are talking about so take this advice with that in mind (my disclaimer).

I've never done the mod that is show in the build manual because it is a bit more permanent than I prefer.  I just run a jumper cable from the left power input to the right power input.  Basically I cut a piece of the power cord off the main power cord that is long enough to run from left to right and connect that between the two power input terminals.  Then if I want to power an LE with max power and 2 inputs I just unscrew, pull out the jumper and install a second power cord.  Quick and easy.

I've been doing this since V2 of the LE (did RJ even release v1?) and it has worked without fail.

Ron

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, »
I did the same and it worked like a charm.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is electricity we are talking about so take this advice with that in mind (my disclaimer).

I've never done the mod that is show in the build manual because it is a bit more permanent than I prefer.  I just run a jumper cable from the left power input to the right power input.  Basically I cut a piece of the power cord off the main power cord that is long enough to run from left to right and connect that between the two power input terminals.  Then if I want to power an LE with max power and 2 inputs I just unscrew, pull out the jumper and install a second power cord.  Quick and easy.

I've been doing this since V2 of the LE (did RJ even release v1?) and it has worked without fail.

Ron

Hey Ron

If you have a picture of your mod can you send it to me so I can add it as an option to the manual?

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mitch09

Single Power input Mod
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, »

Ron

Ron,
So you are saying you basically use the left terminal block like a wire nut to Jo over to the right side?
Ryan

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, »

Ron

Ron,
So you are saying you basically use the left terminal block like a wire nut to Jo over to the right side?
Ryan

Yep.  Let me take a picture for you.  Rick I'll post in this thread so you can grab it for the wiki.

Ron

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, »
This is what I did last year. I also liked the idea, that it wasn't hard to change in case i needed to use  more power.

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, »
My first 2 LEs I ran 16ga wire over from one side to the other. The Caution to add is to make sure you connect Hot to Hot and Neutral to Neutral. You won't like it if you cross the wires.
 <md..  <md..  <md..

All the rest I've soldered 16ga jumpers on the bottom of the board.
I don't own a single AC controller with dual power inputs.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, »
LE Power Mod

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, »
I soldered all 14the le's with the jumper and it works great. I dont think you can go wrong either way... in a previous post i sent pics in with the jumper on the board and questioned it. It works fine as long as you dont exceed the amp limits
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, »
Thanks Chris,

I added your photo to the wiki and to the LE assembly manual

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, »
I dunno,

Ron's looks nicer
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, »
Ok

I changed it to Ron's picture

Thanks guys

Rick R.

Offline mitch09

Single Power input Mod
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, »
Ron,
Those are thick wires. How do you get the terminal to clamp down tight on such a large twisted pair?

Offline lightsoncallaway

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, »
I've been using the jumper wire as well.  Works great and offers the flexibility for more power if needed.