Author Topic: Power Supply for MR 16  (Read 2902 times)

Offline mmais68569

Power Supply for MR 16
« on: December 13, 2012, »
I am going to add about 7 MR 16's next year & need to know what you are using for power supplies. This year I am using this one:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Which works good but $24 times 7 is a lot. Any cheaper ideas. I will be running 8' dumb strips, 4 per contoller.

Thanks Mike

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Power Supply for MR 16
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, »
That power supply (20 amps) is "almost" enough to run two controllers with the load you are describing.

I have about 20 feet total of 5050 Flex strips running from a 4.5 amp supply on a single MR16.  Because I was concerned that it was marginal, and I didn't have an ammeter to check the total amp draw for all on, I did a check of how much the voltage dropped.

The input voltage to the MR16 is 12.2vdc at no load and drops to 11.9vdc at full load.
I made the command decision that it could handle the load.
It has continued to do so and is intensely bright.

On another MR16, the load was 200 RGB Pixels. The same small power supply choked big time. It didn't hurt anything, but the voltage dropped so low that the PIC chip reset until the voltage recovered.

So, to answer your question more directly, a 20 amp power supply for each or your described load is overkill. If you found a 25 amp supply for not much more, you wouldn't need as many, therefore cheaper. That same ebay company has 10 amp and 15 amp power supplies for less if you want to power each one separately.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, »
5m is about 16 feet.
5m (30 led / m) consumes about 3A across all channels is using RGB

2.5m (about 8ft) use 1.5A RGB

4 strips would be about 6A

running 2 controllers off each power supply would still use about 12A (about 60% of the power supply)

also, on these types of power supplies, next to the screws where the wires get connected, there is a small trim pot where you can adjust the voltage in case it's too high, or dips too low.

if you're planning on any purchases from Ray anytime soon, you can tack on a few of these as it would be easier to return if there were any problems. I just wouldn't place an order for power supplies from Ray, and the shipping will raise the price.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, »
Then this powewr supply should be enough for 1 per controller.

Mike

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, »
Shipping is way too high. But the power is correct if Chris's 6 amps is accurate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, »
my calculations were based from the 30leds per meter normal dumb strips.   if you get the higher count 60leds per meter, then they use twice the power.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, »
try looking at this one...

about $17.  free shipping, and coming from the US, you wouldn't have to wait too long to get one to test.

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, »
Thanks for catching the shipping rate I did not even look at that. Yes I am only running 30 LED per meter.

Mike