Author Topic: output channels scrambled  (Read 1826 times)

Offline lupe22

output channels scrambled
« on: December 12, 2012, »
ok, last night my light show worked great. this afternoon i added a sequence to the desktop that runs the light show. the new sequence that was added was  designed on my laptop. . when i try to run this sequence i get a com 3 error. if i choose one of the sequences that ran fine the night before it appears to run fine on Viewer but the channels outside are not following the programmed sequence. i have 3 controllers that make up my light show system. the starting channel are 1, 17, and 33. but when i choose a channel in the channel list to turn on. a different channel turns on outside on the controllers. for example if I turn on channels 17-32 i get some channels in controller (1-16) turn on and channels in controller (17-32) turn on. . . what the world??

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, »
Did you build a profile from your sequence? If so I hope you have a original profile in backup.  Just assign the back up to the new sequence. I assume you are using Vixen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: output channels scrambled
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, »
This is a profile issue.  When you use multiple computers (and I do as well) it is important to carefully control your profiles.  Especially the hardware as com ports will change on each machine.  If they don't consider yourself lucky.  Also you never should have the adjustable preview turned on in the show computer.  In my profile I have adjustable preview, etherdongle and USB dongle.  Depending on whether I am running some lights for show, for test or just doing sequencing I have to make changes to turn on / off the output plugins in the profile depending on what I am doing.  If your actual channels do not match your expected channels somewhere along the line you prbably change the channel outputs in the profile (upper left option) vs changing the on screen display used to help with sequencing (lower right option).
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lupe22

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, »
Thanks for the replies, after reading the responses and searching my memory for the chain of events that led to this show stopper. I in fact copied the profile and new sequence to the show computer. I also rearranged the profile channels on the laptop which is why i dumped the sequence and profile...as luck would have it i did not back up the original profile on the show computer.(just finished my run and was in hurry to take wife out to dinner)  . .the com port on profile matches the control panel assigned com port for the usb dongle.  . i can not get back to show computer till later this afternoon so in the mean time i need to layout out a recovery plan. assuming my profile is jacked, how can i recover?

Offline lupe22

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, »
yes i am using vixen. also using the lynx USB serial dongle and lynx express controllers

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, »
If you have a hard copy of your original profile (excel) channel names. You can rebuild your profile. If you only have a few channels it will be easy. The larger channel count the harder it is going to be. Once you rebuild your profile in Vixen profile drop down and re order it. Be sure to save the order every time. You can then open your sequence and click the
Profile drop down and select add profile to sequence. everything should work at that point. Remember to back up all of this as you build it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline lupe22

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, »
Munchos Gracias Onesmoothhead, we are back in the holiday light show spirit over here. . . i deleted all profiles on show computer and rebuilt the profile. luckily i had a hard copy of the channel designations. i will in the future pay close attention to the originating profile. I also unchecked the DMX box on the Add-In drop menu, that took care of the Com 3 access error.

Offline lupe22

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, »
Thank you Jim as well for taking time to help. merrry christmas