Author Topic: This year's show videos  (Read 10537 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: This year's show videos
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, »
We need some specs on that mega tree.  I'm not sure what the rest of your display is doing as I'm sitting in daze watching the mega tree. :)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, »
Thanks for the nice comments!!

My megatree is based off of Walter Monkhouse's color motions tree.  It is half a tree with 16 strings.  The topper is one I used the last few years, I just added more hooks to it.  It is sitting in a "portable hole" and uses a JUMP center pole also designed by Walter and tweaked a little by me since I have a 68" stroke hydraulic cylinder to raise it...although with the smart strings, I just set it up extended with help from someone else.  The top of the strings are about 22' high and the top of the star is about 25'.

The nodes are attached to 5/8" polyester strapping with electrical tape (the wife was a life saver here as she did 90%+ of that work).  The ends attach with d-rings.  I use large zip ties at the bottom to adjust tension to rods driven into the ground.  I made a master string and then used that string to mark off the nodes for the other strings to make the spacing even.  I included a couple of pictures that show parts of the tree.  The horizontal straps keep the vertical strapping oriented correctly so the nodes point out.  For next year, I am going to get some metal banding for those as the polyester tends to warp and bend when you put zip ties on. If you have further questions, let me know.

Thanks,
-Keith
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, by lonewolf41 »

Offline LtKadeo

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, »
Nice job love it !!!

now where did I put that rag so I can wipe the drool off my KB

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, »
Nice LoneWolf!!  How many pixels per strand is that?  Looks GREAT and the sequencing is great.  Still doing old school mega here this year, but maybe next year I'll move into SS.  Got them on the roof this year and loving their versatility and the time it took to set them up versus 4 colors on every item was alot quicker!  Again...great job!

Duane

Offline meman

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, »
Kieth, that is totally awesome! The strings on the tree look perfectly straight with that webbing...something I have only dreamed of. And the sequencing is spot on...great job man!!

Mike E.

Offline moodytx

• Moody Family Christmas
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, »
Kieth,
OUTSTANDING work on Winter Palace !!!

Seems some family issues aroung 2009 occured and I never realized I was on this board until I saw the link to your vid from Sean (Nutcracker) ..

Glad I found my way back ...

Bob Moody
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Happy Lights!
Bob and Sandra

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, »
Nice LoneWolf!!  How many pixels per strand is that?  Looks GREAT and the sequencing is great.  Still doing old school mega here this year, but maybe next year I'll move into SS.  Got them on the roof this year and loving their versatility and the time it took to set them up versus 4 colors on every item was alot quicker!  Again...great job!

Duane

84 pixels per strand.  That allows me to have the entire tree, except for the star, on one universe using hybrid mode (4080 channels total).

Thanks for the nice remarks,

-Keith

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, »
KEITH!!!!

AWESOME!

I wish I could see this first hand.  I may have to make a trip over.  When are you taking down the lights?  July?

HAHA!

I will be in the area the first part of January.....driving from Indy to Louie.

I'm so envious right now....

Mike, was wondering if you ever made it back.  Hopefully they will be down before May...unlike last year.   <fp.  Let me know if you are headed this way and we can talk shop.  There's a good chance that my display will still be up well into January.  Although, with the weather we have been having (60 here yesterday) I could probably take them down anytime.  I'm sure that won't last though.

Thanks for the comments,
-Keith

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, »
WOW, that is some real good sequencing. Very clean.
How did you make your arches?
How did you attach your flexstrips to your roof line?
Sebastian from California

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, »
WOW, that is some real good sequencing. Very clean.
How did you make your arches?
How did you attach your flexstrips to your roof line?

THANKS!!

For the arches, I mounted (with electrical tape) nodes to 15 feet of 1/2" or 3/4" (I think it was 3/4") PVC slid onto re-bar driven in to the ground.  I use the nodes for everything.  For the house, see here and following:

Thanks again,
-Keith

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, »
I'm close to your area, about 2 hours from Indy, I might have to make the trip to see the show in person. I'm planning on doing a SS mega similar to yours next year, so it'd be fun to watch what it looks like before having one up.
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, »
I'm close to your area, about 2 hours from Indy, I might have to make the trip to see the show in person. I'm planning on doing a SS mega similar to yours next year, so it'd be fun to watch what it looks like before having one up.

Sure.  Let me know if you are coming down and I can give you a tour of the setup.  Won't take too long as it is not all that big.

-Keith

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, »
KEITH!!!!

AWESOME!

I wish I could see this first hand.  I may have to make a trip over.  When are you taking down the lights?  July?

HAHA!

Mike, was wondering if you ever made it back.  Hopefully they will be down before May...unlike last year.   <fp.  Let me know if you are headed this way and we can talk shop.  There's a good chance that my display will still be up well into January.  Although, with the weather we have been having (60 here yesterday) I could probably take them down anytime.  I'm sure that won't last though.

Thanks for the comments,
-Keith

I'm going to have some time the first full week of January, but only on Friday morning.  I know you work during the day, but I may just drive by and take a look at the hardware setup thats outside.

I havent been back much this year at all.  That should change this year.  We have a lot going on in Madison.

I will have to make sure I stay over on some weekends so I can pick your brain, bring parts, and learn from what you have done.

Happy Holidays Keith.
Mike
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, »
KEITH!!!!

AWESOME!

HAHA!

Thanks for the comments,
-Keith

I'm going to have some time the first full week of January, but only on Friday morning.  I know you work during the day, but I may just drive by and take a look at the hardware setup thats outside.

I havent been back much this year at all.  That should change this year.  We have a lot going on in Madison.

I will have to make sure I stay over on some weekends so I can pick your brain, bring parts, and learn from what you have done.

Happy Holidays Keith.
Mike

Give me a holler in January anyway.  I can take a few minutes to run home if you are interested.  Any other times you are in town, let me know.  Always love to share what little I know.

Merry Christmas,
-Keith

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, »
Really impressed with your display Keith!  Your elements and sequencing are very appealing.  Very clean and ingenious node installation on the house... and that megatree is giving me serious inspiration for 2013.  What is its diameter?

Merry Christmas,
John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester