Author Topic: Aether 2 quit working  (Read 2004 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Aether 2 quit working
« on: December 18, 2012, »
I have an Aether 2 that quit working last night.  It has worked great for 2-3 weeks now, but last night quit on me.  I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in.  It is wireless, but all the other wireless stuff is working OK so I don't think that is it.  I know it has power because the LED glows a dim blue and I can see the red LED glowing for the wireless.  Also, it is on the same power supply as another Aether 2 and the other Aether is working fine as well.  Seems like most of my Aethers this year always glow either a dim green or blue when they are not supposed to be on...either during or after the show.  It is almost like they are set to a 2 or 3 intensity value or something.  Not too much to distract, but not completely off either.

Anyway, back to my original issue...any thoughts on what to do or check?

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline caretaker

Re: Aether 2 quit working
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, »
Keith,  I would check and see if the PIC is still programmed first. Then check the regulators to make sure your getting 5V and 3.3 volt (although if you weren't most likely the Aether would be on white as it requires 3.3 volts to the LED regulators to keep them off) Next guess would be a 485 chip went bad. 
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, »
Well, I must have had all sorts of gremlins yesterday.  So far today, the Aether in question is working fine.  And I can obviously get the website tonight as well.  I thought the gremlins had multiplied as 4 of the Aethers weren't working until I realized that the power being out for 5 hours last night threw off the timers I use for the Aethers.  They thought it was only 1:00pm.  WHEW!!  If things change, I will post back, but as of right now, they are all working.

Thanks,
-Keith

sjb

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, »
Great to hear it is all back up and running.

Steve

Offline bassmants

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, »
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago.  Took the whole thing apart and not sure what I did, but put it back together and it has been working ever since.  Weird.  Great to hear all is working now.

Offline meman

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, »
Too funny, I had the same problem with two of my eight Aethers. They were both on a landscape transformer that had an internal timer. Thought I had set it manually to on, but must have been dumb luck up till now that the timer synched up with most of the show. Noticed it the other night and got things back on track. So far so good...these things put out an amazing amount of light. The 45 deg wide flood lenses I put on the four I built this year blow away the output of the original four (NF 24deg & FL 35 deg), so I'll be ordering more of those lenses for sure.

Mike E.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, »
Glad to hear the Gremlins moved on to another neighborhood.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login