Author Topic: my flex string arches. 10 minutes build time (per arch). might be addictive  (Read 3312 times)

Offline fyb2000

Requirements (for the whole project):
-5 SSCs
-2 Flex strings 120 nodes
-1 sheet of coroplast 96x48
-scotch tape :P
-razor blade

I should have a bunch of pictures and a link to a test movie down there (hopefully if I don't forget once I am done typing)

I built the arches for my display using the full length of a coroplast sheet (96x48) and taping (transparent large scotch tape) a 75 nodes flex string between two layers of coroplast. That worked pretty good and even though the nodes are not facing the viewer(s) (they are facing upward), the light is nicely cast all around.
75 nodes was chosen for several reasons:
-it is divisible by 15 (no waste of the flex)
-the length is (almost) equivalent to the full length of the coroplast sheet I had
-(again)it is divisible by 15 which is the number of sections I am using in it.

Building is very straightforward:
-Cut 2 layers of coroplast with a width of about 2 inches and a length equivalent to the length of the flex you will be using. The length of the top layer of coroplast has to be about 2 inches longer than the length of the bottom one. It is to compensate for the final curvature we will see in a moment
-Tape the flex in the middle of the smaller length of coroplast, LEDs facing up. I am taping it using regular (large width) transparent scotch tape, using one piece every 15 nodes, and starting from the middle. Not as important for this step, but it is a good idea to tape while curving the coroplast and the flex in an half circle (a second person is of great help there)
-Tape the longer piece of coroplast on top of the flex. Again starting from the middle and while the whole element is bended in an half circle
-Using whatever method of securing the arche in your front yard, go put it out there. I am using 4 cheap black light hangers that can be found pretty much anywhere at this time of the year.

The 75 nodes string was programmed with grouping of 5 nodes.
I did 4 additional arches, one of 60 nodes (grouped by 4 nodes), 45 nodes (groups of 3), 30 (groups of 2) and a 15 nodes one, ungrouped.

The pictures show some of the steps, as well as the way it is setup in my front yard. The movie is a test run put together in LSP in a few minutes, just to see what could be done.

I hope you'll enjoy it

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, by fyb2000 »

Offline fyb2000

pics if it let me post them (all the pics are for the small arch, 15 nodes):

Offline fyb2000

The gap that you can see between the two layers of coro when the arch is not bend, will disappear when you bend the arch to its final shape and if you have made the top piece of coro a little longer than the bottom one, started the taping in the middle and taped while bending the arch.
The installed arch by itself was my original one.
The picture with multiple arches was done before installing the little one. The movie in the original post was made with the 5 arches acting together.
more pics:

Offline fyb2000

How to use them (I am using LSP, other sequencer might have the same capabilities).
As far as the rings themselves, it's pretty straightforward. Just add one controller per ring, 15 RGB (BGR in my case) nodes and you will be able to control each half circle arch with it's own controller.
Now going one step further, you might want to control the effects on a section basis (15 sections) rather than half-ring (5 half rings). To do that in LSP I created 15 virtual controllers. In the first one I attached the first channel of each half ring. In the second one I attached the second channel of each ring, and so forth till the 15th one.
Once this is done, if you put an ON effect on virtual controller 1, it will lit the left-most pixel(s) of the 5 rings (left most 5 pixels of outer ring, left most 4 pixels of ring #2, left most 3 pixels of ring #3...)

The advantage of doing it using virtual controllers (rather than layers), is that once you are done, you can build layers using those controllers (say one layer with the 15 controllers, one with every other controllers starting with the first one, then another layer with every other controllers but starting with the second one...)You will not have to recreate the layer by adding individual channels one after the other.

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Simply amazing. I have to go back and look at them in person. You have repeat customers :). Very nicely done and what an out of the box idea. I haven't seen this before. I especially like the fan effect.
Sebastian from California

Offline SteveMaris

Fine job! great "how to" thanks for sharing.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline fyb2000

Thanks gents,
Just a quick correction on behalf of my wife:
What I called rings are not actually rings, at best they are half rings.
I think she was trying to tell me something.
Maybe I should not have tell her that from now on I wanted to be known as the lord of the rings ;)

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Sebastian from California

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Greetings,,,

At least you can be lord of the halflings...

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline scharbon

Lord of the Half Rings,

Very nice.  Looks like you just raised the bar for the rest of us doing arches.  Never thought of doing anything like that.  There goes next years budget.  Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Offline Kwajtony

Nice effects.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline fyb2000

Thanks,
They definitely getting a lot of attention. I got quite a lot of comments on them, and they are so really easy to setup. The growing grouping (1/2/3/4/5) allows a pretty good alignment and makes the sequencing/effects generation very easy.
I got the coroplast at a local pet store that has them for doing enclosure for guinea pigs.
Merry Christmas to all of you out there.

sjb

Great Job.

Steve

Offline tpctech

Cool,  I built some proto type archs using flex strips inside of 3/4" PEX tubing.  I am planning on making 16ft arches with PEX this year.   1 strip per arch works good but 2 look really good!!

KEN