Author Topic: newbie requiring help  (Read 2455 times)

Offline bomber

• no idea newbie
newbie requiring help
« on: December 19, 2012, »
can anyone help a newbie from across the pond to get started and understand what is required to start this craze off in the united kingdom.

i understand the components but can you mix and match. can you use different types of lighting. how do i control main voltage rope lights with a 24v dc controllers?

please please help
thanks

tony
"The Bomber"

Offline caretaker

Re: newbie requiring help
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, »
Tony,

To do a light show you will need a computer, sequencing software, some type of dongle to send the signals from the computer to your controllers, lights and a lot of time and patience. While the LYNX Express DMX 16 channel controller can be run from 220 with a change in the transformer your outputs would be 220 volt. There is also a Lynx MR16 DC DMX controller which you could use 24v with. You may want to check out Aussie Christmas lighting as the use the same electrical system as you (220v and 24v lights) for more on how to work with 24v systems.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bomber

• no idea newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, »
 <res.
hi caretaker,
thanks for the guidance. i will check it out but be prepared for some more advice giving. any advice on sequencing or any other aspect will be greatly recieved.

merry christmas
thanks

tony
"The Bomber"

Offline caretaker

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, »
No Problem Tony, you might want to check out some sequencing programs before you even get any lights or hardware as there are several available:
1. Light Show Pro - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Free to try (limited) but a very capable program (I use it) Has a few bugs but they are working those out.
2. Vixen - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Free as in no money, many people use vixen and swear buy it. 
3. Light-O-Rama You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login there current version is S3 and will cost you but is a dependable program.
4. HLS - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Also free and being added to all the time. A little different than the above programs but some really like it.

Once you pick one you can practice sequencing so when you do get hardware you will be ahead of the game.
Jeff Squires

Offline bomber

• no idea newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, »
can you use these programs with any controllers or is that dependant on the dmx output you use. is it universal language or is it program specific to the dmx. we have a company in the UK called sycronised lighting ive found but they use there own program. do i stick to what you guys use and swear by or try this.

software controllers
are the power outputs on the controllers all 24v dc or can you have mains ouput aswell for rope lights for instance.
would you advise making your own frames and what would be the best material for the job.

once again many thanks
thanks

tony
"The Bomber"

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, »
can you use these programs with any controllers or is that dependant on the dmx output you use. is it universal language or is it program specific to the dmx. we have a company in the UK called sycronised lighting ive found but they use there own program. do i stick to what you guys use and swear by or try this.
All the of the sequence software I referenced will output DMX (and most will do other outputs as well) to go from the sequence software (your computer) to the hardware (your lights) you will also need a DONGLE there is basically two types USB (Lynx USB dongle) or Ethernet E1.31 (Lynx EtherDongle) either will work with the software I referenced in my previous message with the LYNX USB dongle being easier to set up for a beginner while the EtherDongle is a must for higher channel shows that use a lot of channels.
software controllers
are the power outputs on the controllers all 24v dc or can you have mains ouput aswell for rope lights for instance.
would you advise making your own frames and what would be the best material for the job.

once again many thanks
As for hardware there are to basic controllers the Lynx Express which is a 16 channel DMX "Mains" controller and the Lynx MR16 a 16 channel DMX low voltage (24 volt) controller.  Take a look through the WIKI and you find all sorts of info there about all the hardware other important information.
Jeff Squires