Author Topic: WIND!! bummer!  (Read 1747 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
WIND!! bummer!
« on: December 20, 2012, »
30 mph sustained, 50-60mph gust in northern kentucky wiped out my mega tree and possibly my manger. :-\   guess the redesign of my mega tree is going to happen this year instead of waiting until next year. 2 weeks of show time left and it's my first year so i want to keep it running. glad i have gained patience in my short life.

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: WIND!! bummer!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, »
Sorry to hear that.

Did the tree break at a certain height or did it just fall over?

You might be able to tell where you need to add extra strength in either pole support or more guide wires.

I think most of the "old" guys here over design our stuff just to help deal with the weather

Good luck

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

sjb

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, »
Wow, that sucks Duane. Sorry to hear that. Like Rick mentions, hopefully you can just add guide wires or more support.

Steve

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, »
fell over, center pole didn't come apart. i had an 8' ring on the bottom with 2' stakes holding it down, the ground is so saturated from all the rain that it pulled them out.  really stinks though because i was starting to get some good traffic from people and i know for a fact a fellow diy'er was coming over with his family saturday. i'll just have to get up early saturday and get it knocked out, i won't have time tomorrow.

duane

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
WIND!! bummer!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, »
My dads took a fall too, rough season.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, »
My first 3 years I had disasters with my mega tree.  Now I have a Monkman JUMP pole I built and it is solid as a rock.  There are not even any guy wires on it.  Took awhile to build, but I love the thing.  Everyone I now that has built one loves it.  Bu it is not something that you put together in a short period of time.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, »
One of my super sparkleballs blew down just a few minutes ago (had to get up on he roof in the rain so it did not rip down the other two it was hanging from)....they say the wind could be worse tomorrow so not feeling real good about the other balls up there. Going to have to look for a better attachment mechanism.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, »
My megatree just separated partially from the base.  It is still standing, but who knows how much longer.  The winds are terrible.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline thestig

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, »
If it makes you feel any better... My mega tree is standing strong and looks perfect except for one thing. It continues to blow my GFI so I have had it off for the last week. I can't figure out whats wrong and need to lower the lights to check it out. Which wouldn't be a big deal if the rain would stop. Why do I torture myself by living in Oregon..

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, »
If it makes you feel any better... My mega tree is standing strong and looks perfect except for one thing. It continues to blow my GFI so I have had it off for the last week. I can't figure out whats wrong and need to lower the lights to check it out. Which wouldn't be a big deal if the rain would stop. Why do I torture myself by living in Oregon..

NO, it doesn't make me feel any better. all your hard work is still hanging there and nothing is destroyed. how is that supposed to make me feel better! 3 days i have invested in my tree and now it's in pieces on the ground. yours is still hanging and you just have an electrical issue. this is one time when some one should keep their opinion to them selves

duane
Florence, KY

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, »
I actually have an extra portable hole and JUMP pole that I am not using this year if you would like to borrow it.  I am in Madison, IN so assuming you are close to Cincy, i am about an hour away from you.  I also have a topper with hooks that you can use.  A picture of the setup is attached.  The pole is adjustable for height, but only goes up to about 22 feet.  I'll be leaving town tomorrow, but it is outside, so it is accessible.  Let me know if you would like to use it if it will help you out.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, »
I actually have an extra portable hole and JUMP pole that I am not using this year if you would like to borrow it.  I am in Madison, IN so assuming you are close to Cincy, i am about an hour away from you.  I also have a topper with hooks that you can use.  A picture of the setup is attached.  The pole is adjustable for height, but only goes up to about 22 feet.  I'll be leaving town tomorrow, but it is outside, so it is accessible.  Let me know if you would like to use it if it will help you out.

Thanks,
-Keith

Keith, your awesome man! i truly appreciate the offer. i know what i did wrong with mine and it's all pvc so i don't think anything is broken. i should be able to put it all back together. guys like you are why i like this forum. you don't know me from adam and your willing to lend me your stuff. if only more people in the world could be like yourself it would be a much better place. thanks again, hope you have a safe trip where ever it is your going and a wonderful christmas.

duane
Florence, KY

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, »
That storm and strong winds are heading into our neck of the woods in the northeast today and tomorrow.  Hopefully everyone makes it through with minimal disruption.  I suspect there will be goods crowds this weekend (subject to weather conditions).

-Mike

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, »
That storm and strong winds are heading into our neck of the woods in the northeast today and tomorrow.  Hopefully everyone makes it through with minimal disruption.  I suspect there will be goods crowds this weekend (subject to weather conditions).

-Mike

double check everything and make sure it's secure! if you get the winds that we got here, your in for a heck of night. i wish you the best of luck. i just got home from work and i am going out to assess the damage. bad thing is that the controllers that are on my tree, are the 2nd in a daisy chain of 5 elements. so the 3 other  areas as well as the tree are not lit, disabled at the moment.  so  3/4's  of my show is down at the moment. such is life.

duane
Florence, KY

sjb

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, »
Stay positive Duane.

You will get through it and your show will be great.

Steve