Author Topic: Let me see if I got this right?  (Read 2412 times)

Offline GMiller64

Let me see if I got this right?
« on: December 21, 2012, »
OK I was lurking long before I joined and I THINK I've got this figured out. Now I know its right before Christmas and everyone is busy with their displays so when you get a Chance how about looking over what I've gotten here and let me know if I have it figured out?

First what I'm planning:
      Currently have 32 Channels of LOR though I haven't been running them the last few years. So next year I want to continue to run the 32 LOR with various displays but I also want to add a 180* mega tree using 12 RGB Smart Pixels for extra animation.

How I think it can be done:
     The LOR can continue to run like it has/is currently. I'll also need a Lynx EtherDongle for the RGB stuff. This dongle will feed a PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub which will in turn feed the 12 Smart String Controllers. The control the whole thing I'm leaning towards upgrading the LOR software I currently have though it's so old I might have to buy new copies in which case I'll be looking at Light Show Pro.

Questions:
    1) Does the Hardware set up look right? I'll need access to an Ethernet Plug on my Computer as well right?
    2) If I upgrade to the LOR S3 will I also need to get the Star CCR add on in order to control all the pixels?
    3) If number 2 is the case would I just be better off getting the LSP software?

Thanks for reading and holding my hand,
George.

Offline meman

Re: Let me see if I got this right?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, »
Don't know much about LOR, but sounds like you are on the right track hardware wise.
This diagram from the wiki sums it up. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As far a software for sequencing....my money on LSP was a loss, I went back to Vixen and will use Nutcracker to generate RGB sections for my sequences.

Keiths recent videos of an 180 degree RGB node megatree done with the Vixen/Nutcracker combination are an inspiration to us all - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Good Luck!   
Mike E. 

Offline jlowe

Let me see if I got this right?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, »
I couldn't ever get anything from LSP. But I really like LOR. I run a mixed network of LOR, Renard, and e682. I program everything in S3. Pixels are a pain, but with tools like nutcracker, it gets easier. Then I use xlights to run everything to the hardware. It will play anything you throw at it and speaks to various devices.

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, »
Morning, and Merry Christmas!

I'm probably as new, or newer than you, but I've been doing a lot of research on this over the past month or so, so I'll offer to you what I've discovered.

First of all, I too, have a 32 channel LOR setup running S3.  I used it and a DC-MP3 to run my show this year.

After doing a bit of research I found that using RGB lighting (using RJ's pixelnet) can be used, programmed, and controlled in LOR's S3 software.  As you probably know, a PixNet universe is 4096 channels (8x512 DMX channels).  To get them in your S3 software, insert 8 new DMX devices/universes (512 channels each) and convert the channels to RGB.  You CAN leave up to 512 of the first DMX universe to control other DMX devices, you can also use LESS than 512 channels as DMX (128 for example) and use the rest as RGBs. 

The latest firmware (upgradeable) on your LOR controllers allow it to recognize if its running as an LOR device or a DMX device, so you can use your existing LOR controllers as DMX dimmer packs to control your AC equipment.

That said, you will need, at least, the following equipment...

S3 with a professional license (so it can run DMX over E1.31)
Ethernet dongle to convert S3's computer output to pixnet
CAT5 cable for connections
A Pixnet hub (active or passive)
Smart String Controllers (SSC) for controlling your RGB pixels (one per string)
DMX dimmer packs (if you want additional to your existing 32 channels)

As for the settings on your LOR controllers, controller one will be channels 1-16 on your DMX network, controller 2 will be 17-32.

Having said all of that, this may, or may not be the best way to go for you... 
Vixen handles the sequencing very well if you want to take the time to learn it.
xlights can run your show from your computer (I've read that S3 can slow down the show while running massive channels)
Nutcracker can help with your RGB animations... similar to the superstar software. 

Speaking of the Superstar software, I'm not sure, but it may be specific to the Cosmic Color devices sold through LOR... which is an EXPENSIVE way to go.

Hope this makes some sense and helps you.  If you have additional questions, I'll do my best to answer them with the information I have.  Just drop me a PM or an email.
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline GMiller64

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, »
Thanks Guys. All VERY helpful (and probably saved me a bunch of money mazdafan  ;D ) exactly what I was wondering but couldn't find in my research. Now on to the planning phase.

George.

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks Guys. All VERY helpful (and probably saved me a bunch of money mazdafan  ;D ) exactly what I was wondering but couldn't find in my research. Now on to the planning phase.

George.

George, if it helped, thats good.  If it helps and saves money.. thats even better.

And if you have fun while doing it... well, ya just can't ask for any more than that!

Merry Christmas!

Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!