Author Topic: Loosing time  (Read 14288 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Loosing time
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, »
Quote from: Wiki
MP3 Info: You want to run 128 - 192 mp3 non variable rate on the conductor

Quote from the Wiki...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You want to run 128 - 192 mp3 non variable rate on the conductor. I thought we posted that somewhere but my memory is bad.

RJ
[/quo

my conductor had 3 songs that played fine and 3 songs that weren't in sync. the 3 songs that played correctly have an mp3 bit rate of 320 kbps and the 3 not working properly have a bit rate of 128 kbps. keep in mind all 6 songs play just fine threw the etherdongle prior to adding the conductor firmware. should i attempt to convert the bit rate of the 3 songs not working and see if it works? or should i make all the songs the same rate?

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, »
my conductor had 3 songs that played fine and 3 songs that weren't in sync. the 3 songs that played correctly have an mp3 bit rate of 320 kbps and the 3 not working properly have a bit rate of 128 kbps. keep in mind all 6 songs play just fine threw the etherdongle prior to adding the conductor firmware. should i attempt to convert the bit rate of the 3 songs not working and see if it works? or should i make all the songs the same rate?

duane

variable, or non variable bitrate?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, »
[

variable, or non variable bitrate?
[/quote]

not sure how to check that. when i right click on the mp3 file, go to properties and that is where i found the bit rate but i do not see whether it's non-variable or variable. do i load it into audacity to find that out? i will check
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, »
You really need to use an audio program to determine the bit rate - windows explorer isn't the right tool.  Audacity may do it - not sure.  There's a free program called You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that will inspect the files for you, or if you're good with a hex editor, you can see for yourself You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - the 9th hex character should be 0 for VBR.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, »
I wonder if it has to do with differences in the MP3 encoding.  You might want to look to see if your problem MP3s have been encoded with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - this is basically a cheat that allows MP3 files to be smaller when less data is needed.  I know that I've heard of sequencing issues in the past using MP3s that use VBR.

Is there a way to tell if they use VBR?  Two of my songs I ripped from the CD and two were downloaded as part of the TSO promotional.  The TSO ones were the 320kbps files.  I usually use 160 or 192kbps when I rip from a CD.  Probably overkill, but want/like to make sure I have good sound.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, »
I just looked at the program I use to rip the CD's (Real player) and "Use Constant Bitrate" is checked.  I assume it has always been that way as I don't remember ever changing it.  So my guess is the 192kbps MP3 was recorded/ripped using a constant bitrate.  I may try re-ripping with a different program and see if it makes a difference.  Just another variable to eliminate.

I used VLC player to convert the 192kbps song to 128 & 64 and both of them worked so I may try using it to rip the song from the CD at the higher bitrate and see if it will play.  Maybe it is Real player that is doing something.  I am using a pretty old version...12.0.0.343.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, »
I use winamp - watch the bitrate as you play the song.  If it changes, it's VBR.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You can find an old copy of a non-bloated winamp (v 2.74) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Before everyone gets crazy checking all their songs though, I think it would be more prudent for someone confirm one of their problem sequences is due to VBR.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, »
As a user of LSP 2.5 I must use 44100 HZ 16bit with a 128kps bit rate MP3 files or I am like to experience problems such as delay between lights and sound. While there are many audio tools out there I use Audacity because it is free and it work great. Any song I decide I want to use in my show I bring it into Audacity and export it as a MP3 with 44100, 16, 128 settings and I am good to go even if the original was a MP3 is still export it to make sure I don't have to worry about it later. Audacity is also works well for editing songs or splicing tracks together.  YMMV but working with 128kps bit rate files is the way to go with most software out there.
Jeff Squires

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, »
As one more point of reference, I ripped the same song using windows media player instead of real player.  I set the bitrate to 192kbps.  I played the MP3 in VLC player and checked the bitrate while playing.  It was mostly 192.  Every so often it would go to 191 for a split second, but i figure that was just some error in the calculation or something.  Anyway, this new MP3 also played slow...or at least the music was way behind the lights again.  I guess that has been a question of mine.  Is the audio file being played a little slow, or is the sequence getting played a little fast?  I have not tried to time it to see, but that would be a good check.

Anyway, I guess as it stands, for me a 128kbps file seems to play OK.  I will just need to make sure all my files get converted before using them in the conductor.  Is there a specification sticky somewhere that spells out these standards that we need to follow?  If there is, I missed it.  If there is not, it would probably be a good idea to make one.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, »
I'd have to say that your song that was going between 191 and 192 is VBR.  The bitrate is a lookup value in each frame of data, ie, no calculation is required if the bitrate value in the given frame is non-zero, and 191 isn't one of the lookup values.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, »
I'd have to say that your song that was going between 191 and 192 is VBR.  The bitrate is a lookup value in each frame of data, ie, no calculation is required if the bitrate value in the given frame is non-zero, and 191 isn't one of the lookup values.

Here is a screenshot from Mr. QuestionMan.  Does this say it is variable or constant?  I don't see either.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, »
I think this is something other than a mp3 spec issue since I fooled around with this some time ago... 

Is there a (legal) way to post the .seq and .mp3 files to see if others who are not having issues try files on their conductor?   Then, assuming the files play fine on another conductor, what would that mean? 

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, »
I think this is something other than a mp3 spec issue since I fooled around with this some time ago... 

Is there a (legal) way to post the .seq and .mp3 files to see if others who are not having issues try files on their conductor?   Then, assuming the files play fine on another conductor, what would that mean?

I don't mind posting mine if someone wants to try it.  Of course the channel layout might be an issue and I'm not sure how you would know if the lights are in sync if they do not match the layout anyway.  There is a good chance that you could tell, but it might be more difficult.  I thought about trying a different ED/conductor combo altogether to see if it played differently on different hardware.  Unfortunately, I only have the one.  May get a spare this year, but will be too late to test while I have my gear up...at least I hope it is.  :)  Good ideas though.

-Keith

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, »
I still have all of my lights up and if you have a particular item in your show that you could easily tell if it is off, I can play it and video that (Those) channel number(s) in my show. If you want to try, I am game. Let me know if you want me to try some different stuff.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, by rdebolt »