Author Topic: help with setup for beginner  (Read 5783 times)

Offline bigbuck

help with setup for beginner
« on: December 25, 2012, »
ok,so i am new to this,wanted to see if someone can help me with a new setup from start to finish,where can i buy the equipment i need??(lynx or light o rama) i was looking at lynx equipment,not sure if this what i need to set up a system??????? looking to do a 16 or 32 channel set up for the first time with regular lights,so i guess i need someone to help me with where to get the equipment at the best price,i have downloaded vixen and started to play around with that, i have built 2 megatrees already and have a pattern to build many more next year,i really enjoy the light shows and do not want to get discouraged and lose interest
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, by bigbuck »

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
Re: help with setup for beginner
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, »
First off I would suggest that you start reading the wiki It has a wealth of information to help you decide what options are available for different ways to set up your display. As far as obtaining equipment, there are three ways to get Lynx equipment. 1) through a coop, 2) through the store as available, 3) postings in the sale/trade area.
Read some of the past coop posting and sale/ trade postings to get an I rough idea on equipment costs.

Offline bigbuck

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, »
ok thanks,the only thing is that i do not know enough about the equipment to know what to buy,heck im not even sure if lynx is for lights!!!!but from what i understand lynx is much cheaper than light o rama,i just dont want to end up with a bunch of stuff i cant use

sjb

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, »
For the setup that I believe you are looking for the basics would be
1) A dongle (communication from computer software to the controller) you can go etherdongle(connects to a router in your network at home) or usb dongle that plugs directly into the usb port of your show computer.
2) Lynx Express controller (will control up to 16 channels of regular lights that just plug into the controller output plugs)

Once you buy these and build then you will need to purchase bulk extension cords to run power to the controller and from the controller to your light strings. You will also need Cat5 cable to run from the dongle to the controller and also Cat5 cable to run from one controller to the next controller. You will also need to purchases cases for each board you build.

This would be the basic setup for regular lights. From here you can build on extras ( wireless transmitter for dongle then wireless receiver on the controller, this would eliminate the cat5 cable)

Hope it helps.

Steve

Offline bigbuck

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, »
sure does,thanks,as far as the lynx controllers are they linkable if i wanted to make my show bigger?

sjb

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, »
Yes each Lynx express has 1 input for Cat5 and 2 outputs to join to the next controller. With this being my first year I have 3 lynx controllers that are daisy chained 1 to 2 to 3. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but output #1 just outputs the signal and output #2  I believe regenerates the signal strength and then outputs it.

Where I made errors this year was not planning accordingly as to the location of the controllers, so I used extra bulk extension cords and plan on moving the controllers closer to the stringed areas, therefore cutting the extension cords in half.

The advice I could give you would be to plan on the locations of each controller and go from there.

Once you grow in the hobby and add RGB pixels that use 12 volts then you can add the 16 port active hub which will be connected to the dongle using pixelnet and then the active hub can convert it to DMX for output to the lynx express. So RJ's design really allows you the flexibility to expand easily.

The only other advice on start-up would be to pick up a PICKit3 so you can program the PICs on the boards. You will need an adapter card to program the PIC's on the dongles also as they do not have a ISCP connector on the boards. Also a transmitter for your show.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, by sjb »

Offline bigbuck

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, »
as far as the 16 channel lynx controllers go is there any assembly required besides putting them in ur own waterproof box? sorry for all the questions but i am not very good with all this computers stuff <md..,
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, by bigbuck »

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, »
Hi Buck,
  All controllers, dongles, hubs found on here are "build it yourself".  You purchase the pc board(s) from RJ, and get the parts from either a co-op or buy them yourself through an electronics supply house.  In the wiki link above, there is a hardware section that goes to each piece of equipment.  At the equipment you will find a link to a Mouser.com project listing that tells all of the items you require (and prices) for each project.  Each (ALL) project needs to be assembled, soldered, and programmed (Do It Yourself).  Its not the easiest way to get into the hobby, but its what keeps the prices down for the equipment. 

I don't know your skill level with soldering, but you can find a lot of helpful tutorials on the net
               You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The assembly instructions are listed with each piece of hardware in the wiki.

If the thought of purchasing and assembling your own hardware seems too daunting a task, there are ready made solutions out there from simple...
  To more complex

Hope this helps.
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline bigbuck

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, »
checked out that mr christmas and i dont think thats the way i want to go,thanks for the info though,hopefully when i start this project i will be able to get all the help i need for building these controllers

sjb

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, »
When you get them, it will be easier than you will imagine. Prior to getting mine I had no soldering experience or electronics. The members walked me through it, just as we will walk you through it. Do not worry the instructions are awesome and if you follow them (read twice then go step by step.

Steve

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, »

this might help click on the wiki and then clickon the express the manual are posted it will let you see how easy it is in putting it together
Jeff

Offline bigbuck

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, »
just watched the video on assemblying the lynx express 16 channel controller(very helpful!!!)is the link to mousers page the complete kit minus the board???where can i purchas the boards??

sjb

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, »
The boards and heatsink you get from the store or if someone is selling one. I personally would wait for a coop to start in January and you will get all the parts and board for about $67 plus shipping. It will save you money by getting them in the coop group buy. But the advice is click on the notify button under current coops and watch for your email because once it opens it will probably close within a couple of hours the first ones.

Offline bigbuck

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, »
if i use the notify button and get the email will that automaticly give me the option to purchas all the products i need to get started????,my computer is set up with broadband,can you give me a list (minus the outdoor speakers)of everything i need to order,or does that sound like a stupid question??

sjb

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, »
The notify button will only notify you that a COOP has started, you will still have to go to that topic and add your name to the list to buy the equipment (if you want the stated items and how many). Look through some of the closed coops from last year and you will see the first post will be the COOP manager describing the coop with prices and what it consists of, the second post will be reserved for the COOP manager to list the members that entered the COOP and then from there down will be members requesting to buy the items. Once the limit is reached the Coop manager will announce it is closed and no other orders will be accepted. You will then receive a private message from the manager with your cost and shipping fees and instructions for paying through PAYPAL. Please note that from the time a COOP opens, until you actually receive the items, it may be about 6 - 8 weeks usually. The COOP manager has to wait for all payments to be rec'd, order the parts and then receive all the parts and package them and ship them. This is all done by great people that are doing it for free and with their own time being used to do this.

If it is a basic system for 16 to 32 channels of regular 110 volt incans or led strings you need

1 dongle (etherdongle or USB) (Etherdongle would be best for future expansion, for instance adding conductor so you do not need show computer running all the time)

1 Lynx Express for 16 channels, 2 if you want 32 channels.

Need to buy from other source would be
1 PICKit3 (for programming PICs)
1 Adapter board for PICKit3 for the dongle PIC's
Bulk SPT2 wire (some use SPT1wire) for building custom length extension cords.
CAT5 cables

that is it.

Steve