Author Topic: help with setup for beginner  (Read 5776 times)

Offline bigbuck

Re: help with setup for beginner
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, »
ok thanks,not sure what PICKit3 or board is though

Offline bigbuck

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, »
if you dont mind me asking,what is the difference between ether dongle and usb,i also have broadband, does that make a difference on which dongle to use??
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, by bigbuck »

Online winwin

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, »
ok thanks,not sure what PICKit3 or board is though
it is a device to flash the chips (on the dongle and the Lynx Express board). An option is to have someone flash them for you. Might help initially to keep the cost down when you get started and buy all of these stuffs!
AL.

sjb

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
if you dont mind me asking,what is the difference between ether gongle and usb,i also have broadband, does that make a difference on which dongle to use??

The Etherdongle can be attached to your home network by plugging it in from your routeror hub to the etherdongle. The Etherdongle can also be upgraded at a later date with the daughter boards (like the Conductor board which after sequencing your show you can put the sequence and the MP3 song on a compact flash card and the conductor will run your show for you instead of having a computer running all the time for your show)

The USB dongle will plug directly into your computer that is running your sequencing software and therefore you need to have a dedicated computer to run your show ( member here call this your "show computer")

Steve

Offline bigbuck

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, »
which one would be easiest to use,i am trying to make this as painless as possible

sjb

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, »
Not sure about your experience with computers, but I went with a USB dongle as a member graciously asked me if I wanted one just so I could get going. Personally I had no issues with it.

If I was you, I would go with the Etherdongle as it will allow you future growth.

Steve

Offline bigbuck

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, »
does the etherdongle require a router?i do not have one,my internet is based off a flash card

sjb

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, »
I would have to wait for someone else to answer that, but I believe you could also run the Etherdongle with a CAT5 cable directly from your computers CAT5 jack.

Steve

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, »
no, you don't need a router. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline bigbuck

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, »
ok so let me get this straight,i can use etherdongle on my home computer and i need lynx express controller kits and cat 5 cables and thats all i need to get going?????man there sure is alot more to this than meets the eye,oh yeah and thanks to everyone for helping me with all this,if it werent for everyone here i would be a lost ball in high weeds!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, by bigbuck »

sjb

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, »
ok so let me get this straight,i can use etherdongle on my home computer and i need lynx express controller kits and cat 5 cables and thats all i need to get going?????man there sure is alot more to this than meets the eye,oh yeah and thanks to everyone for helping me with all this,if it werent for everyone here i would be a lost ball in high weeds!!!!!!!
and do not forget about bulk SPT1 or SPT2 cable. Personally for the Lynx Express I bought 16 (3 foot extension cords for $1.50 each at Lowes) and used them for the female end cables coming out of the express. I found these to be cheaper than buying the Bulk cord and then a male plug.