Author Topic: Newbie wondering how to get into a coop  (Read 3606 times)

Offline enjoylife22

Newbie wondering how to get into a coop
« on: December 27, 2012, »
I am looking to do a nice light show next year.  I would like to do all led as it is way cheaper on the electric bill.  I am not sure if the stuff i was looking to build would do the led or not.  I was going to do (1) express (1) freestyle (4)ssr4 (1) wireless (1) express wireless receiver.  I know this is way overkill for a newbie.  I don't plan on using all of this.  But I am way more familiar with soldering and electronics than I am with the whole set up of the display.  I use to work in the led field building designing and fabricating commercial led lights for residential.  So I was wondering when the next coop would be.  Does anyone know how to find out when they will be starting a new coop.

Offline caretaker

Re: Newbie wondering how to get into a coop
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, »
First that is not overkill but instead of the Freestyle you might just want to do DMX-SSR4s but what every you decided that is up to you. You will still need a dongle either a USB one or an Etherdongle.  Coops should be starting up after the first of the year (I wiould look to late January) but make sure you subscribe to the new coop forum area.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, »
Consider making the lynx express the main controller of choise, if not the only one  ... As its newer than the other designs and probably the most cost effective per channel, and capable, IMHO.     Then I you decide to get into smart strings, then add those in with the lynx expresses,
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline enjoylife22

Re: Newbie wondering how to get into a coop
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, »
Thank you Caretaker for the fast response.  I am very excited to try all of this and see how fun this will be.  It seems by what Ive read that it can be very addicting.  Well look out Grizwald I have been bitten by the bug!

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, »
Subscribing to the thread is just about the only way to get in. Coops are often unannounced and the first express coop will fill in under 48 hours.... More likely in 6 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, »
I would second the idea of making the Lynx Express your main controller. It is a great controller, cost effective and would easy to troubleshoot. Much more so than the Freestyle or SSR4 just based in the built in functionality an test options. I have all the controllers now but I will not be using the Freestyle or SSRs any longer because I have enough Expresses to do what I need. Used the Freestyle and SSRs for 4 years without issue, the LEs are just the best controller available.

Ron

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, »
Oh yea. I think I'm up to 15 LEs now.

Ron