Author Topic: Dongle Parts Coop???????  (Read 9832 times)

Offline Snowmizer

Dongle Parts Coop???????
« on: February 16, 2009, »
I got 2 PCB's on the way in the Dongle coop, but is there going to be a coop for the parts kits or is everybody on their own with these?

Offline memphislights

Re: Dongle Parts Coop???????
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, »
I believe that you are on your own.

With shipping from Mouser.com, parts + shipping came out to 48.88 for me.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline Greg

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, »
And the PIC will require programming.  If you don't have a programmer you'll either have get one  or, just ask here in the dongle area and shortly you'll usually have offers from other members to program your PIC for you.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline REM

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, »
I wonder if we should maintain a list of users who have programmers and our locations (at least city, state)?? For those willing to program PICs for others of course.

Ron

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wonder if we should maintain a list of users who have programmers and our locations (at least city, state)?? For those willing to program PICs for others of course.

Ron

Great Idea.. Opps we already did that :D

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline REM

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, »
Good deal. I compiled that list and put it into an easier to find Wiki page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I couldn't come up with a better name for the page so I made it generic. We can add other stuff to it later if we want (i.e. recommended tools for programming and how to use them, etc.)

Ron

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, »
Looks good.

Ron

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

You might want to insure the list of people is still valid.  And I've already been contacted by people who thought it was for programming pics for any hobby or reason.  So you might want to point out it is for the diyla items, etc., unless people want to have net searches bring their names up as programmers for any pics.

Good to have it easily found, within those constraints.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, »
Hi rem

Looks good thanks for helping out

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline REM

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, »
Good point Keith. I've made an edit.  As far as who is still valid... everyone on there is a regular user and should see this. I'll let them remove themselves if need be.

Ron

Offline Greg

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, »
How about the Dongle CO-OPs being for PCBs AND PICs instead of just PCBs?

Not that it applies to me since I already have two and only one universe thus far.

Just a suggestion.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, »
How about the Dongle CO-OPs being for PCBs AND PICs instead of just PCBs?

Not that it applies to me since I already have two and only one universe thus far.

Just a suggestion.

Greg

Why Greg it is SO nice of you to voluntary your services to program all of the dongle pics for the new folks. :D

p.s. Normally RJ does not have the time to do parts or mass programming of pics while working on other projects (and full time job). I would think his time is better spent on getting the wireless done.

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline REM

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, »
That's not a bad idea. If the parts don't really save any money as has been said, it's not worth the manager's effort to sort all of that stuff. We could however offer programmed PICs as an option in a dongle co-op. I know RJ doesn't have that much time. I'd be willing to help out with a co-op like that. I'm new to PICs but I do have a PICkit2 with extension and have successfully programmed an LE.  You guys let me know. I'm an Enterprise Architect for HP/EDS and I work from home here in south Atlanta 99% of the time.

Ron

Offline dilgod

• Change your thoughts and you change your world.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, »
Considering that I'll be buying several items thru the coops over the year... it might be an idea that I'd figure out to program a PIC chip. I learning to solder... I might as well learn to program  ;D 

I am sure programming the pic would be easier than soldering  ;D

Where is a good place and the type of PIC kit to buy for all our needs, ie: USB Dongle, Lynx Express, Lynx Freestyle...

With the generous offers to program the PIC chip and by the time I have the PIC programmed 4-5 times + the postage, I might as well own it and learn it and help others as well in the West Coast.

Dilip

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, by dilgod »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, »
Considering that I'll be buying several items thru the coops over the year... it might be an idea that I'd figure out to program a PIC chip. I learning to solder... I might as well learn to program  ;D 

I am sure programming the pic would be easier than soldering  ;D

Where is a good place and the type of PIC kit to buy for all our needs, ie: USB Dongle, Lynx Express, Lynx Freestyle...

With the generous offers to program the PIC chip and by the time I have the PIC programmed 4-5 times + the postage, I might as well own it and learn it and help others as well.

Dilip

If you get pic from a coop they will be pre-programmed for you.

As to where to get one. I got mine from microchip.com direct sales link. the pickit2 was around $35 and then I got a cradle off of ebay to place the chips in. Of course the Express board has a connector on it to attach the programmer directly without the cradle.

Rick R.