Author Topic: Distance between sets of nodes  (Read 1719 times)

Offline aERonAUtical96

Distance between sets of nodes
« on: December 29, 2012, »
Looking for someone w/ experience here...

What is the distance someone is currently configured and running with between sets of nodes?  I'm looking to get into pixels next year and I am going to do my mini trees first as my stepping stone.  I have 9 2' trees that I was planning on 40 pixels / tree, running 3 trees off of  1 controller.  Distance between trees is  about 2 feet.  So for fudge factor sake we'll say it is 3 feet between pixel 40 on tree 1 and pixel 41 on tree 2 and the same  3 feet between pixel 80 on tree 2 and 81 on tree 3.

Anyone have luck running a similar type of configuration?

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: Distance between sets of nodes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, »
If you do the modification of existing SSC controllers or buy the new controller that most likely will be coming out for next coop you will be fine. I have run up to 8 feet between nodes.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, »
your mileage may vary.

I've added extra cable between nodes, and sometimes they work ok, and sometimes you might see undesirable effects. You kind of have to try it out to see if it works for you.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you do the modification of existing SSC controllers or buy the new controller that most likely will be coming out for next coop you will be fine. I have run up to 8 feet between nodes.

The controller will have no effect on the distance between nodes.  The only space that the controller can effect is the space between the controller and the first node.  As Chris said, your distance can vary depending on such things as voltage drops and outside interference.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, »
You could always put a null node between to repeat the signal.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, »
I can say with confidence having run many items that "3 feet will not be a problem". Sure you need to try it in your own environment. I ran 10 candy canes that had 8 rectangles each 8 feet apart with no problem. I put the part about having doing the mod because many people have had problems running two feet from controller to first node without it. Junk in junk out.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, »
I'm looking to build some north poles and would like to do it on one controller.  So just as a test I had 3 nodes 18ft of wire and then 2 nodes and they still worked great.  Granted I won't have 18ft in between, now to test doing 8 ft between for 5 poles to see if it works.  Ill report back.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, »
well, when you guys are testing this, be sure to keep track of the voltage drop...   i made candy canes this year with 8 plastic rectangles each, then decided to make little extension cords to go between them using ray 3 core connectors.

yes, they all worked, but i ended up not going with it, becuase on full white, each candy cane was a different color getting dimmer as i got further away from the ssc.

so not only check if they work, but check if they work well. it'll drive you nuts if your similar elements are producing different colors.  (meaning 5 very different shades of the same color)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, »
I ran mine for a month with no problems. I am a little color blind. Rarely go all white.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, »
I am a little color blind. Rarely go all white.

Me too, but the wife is not and she let's me know that on a regular basis!  <fp.

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, »
I can say with confidence having run many items that "3 feet will not be a problem". Sure you need to try it in your own environment. I ran 10 candy canes that had 8 rectangles each 8 feet apart with no problem. I put the part about having doing the mod because many people have had problems running two feet from controller to first node without it. Junk in junk out.

Thank you... that was what I was looking for... someone with experience.  I fully understand I need to test for my specific use case, but knowing that someone has it working gives me the driving factor.  I don't plan to run the controller more than 2 feet from the first node, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, »

Thank you... that was what I was looking for... someone with experience.  I fully understand I need to test for my specific use case, but knowing that someone has it working gives me the driving factor.  I don't plan to run the controller more than 2 feet from the first node, so that shouldn't be an issue.

next year i plan on having some groups maybe 10-15' apart. If i run into issues i was going to put a single pixel halfway between so it repeats the signal, a null node i think it is called.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login