Author Topic: Nutcracker: Tutorial for newbies  (Read 2722 times)

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Nutcracker: Tutorial for newbies
« on: December 31, 2012, »
What: Beginning Nutcracker Tutorial:
When: Thursday, Jan 3rd. 7pm MST (Denver Time)

Summary: We will assume you have never used Nutcracker. This tutorial will take you from nothing to seeing an effect in the sequencer of your choice.
Prerequisite: None
Agenda:
1) How to create an account
2) How to create a target model
3) How to create your first effect
4) How to export Nutcracker into Vixen, LSP, LOR or HLS
5) How to install nutcracker on your local machine

Tutorial will be recorded so if you miss this, you can listen to it later

See you  on BigBlue Button conference.

follow these steps:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
select cracker in the "Join a meeting"

enter your name, no password is needed

i will open conference at 6:45pm MST, tutorial will start 7:00pm MST

we will also be using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login so that you can see my full resolution screen.
I will give out the 9 digit code when we start.

See all of you on the conference.

thanks
sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

Re: Nutcracker: Tutorial for newbies
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, »
Here is the recording from last Thursdays "Introduction to Nutcracker" tutorial

enjoy
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline tennhillbilly

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, »
I am trying to learn how to use Nutcracker but I can't get any of the links to for the tutorials to load on my computer. First off I am pretty much computer illiterate. I am using windows XP and Internet  Explorer . I got as far as creating an  effect on 123.com but when I try to export as a lms file I left click here to make lms file then it says to Right click here for LOR lms file but it always end up as an XML document. I am clicking on save target as in the pop up window. Can some one tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Offline smeighan

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, »
I am trying to learn how to use Nutcracker but I can't get any of the links to for the tutorials to load on my computer. First off I am pretty much computer illiterate. I am using windows XP and Internet  Explorer . I got as far as creating an  effect on 123.com but when I try to export as a lms file I left click here to make lms file then it says to Right click here for LOR lms file but it always end up as an XML document. I am clicking on save target as in the pop up window. Can some one tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Dont use IE, it always adds the xml extension. Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Safari will work as advertised. After creating a lms file, right click and save it to your light=o=rama/sequences directory.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline tennhillbilly

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, »
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any other browser except IE.
Dont use IE, it always adds the xml extension. Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Safari will work as advertised. After creating a lms file, right click and save it to your light=o=rama/sequences directory.

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Nutcracker: Tutorial for newbies
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, »
Use that browser to add chrome.
In the IE search bar type chrome and download that browser.
Sebastian from California

Offline smeighan

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, »
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any other browser except IE.

Here is chrome download

firefox download

safari download

I use chrome mostly
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline mrduncan

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, »
Sean,

I’ll been out to the NutCracker web site and I’m really impressed with what you have developed and setup.  Up to now, I’ve tried a few online target models and effects and have exported these to LOR.  As far as the exported extension issue (xml), I just renamed the file extension (lms for LOR).  However, the exported file opens up in LOR as all the channels being LOR controllers rather than DMX.  Is there something I doing which is causing this?

I understand installing the software local on my computer is a much more efficient way to use the software.  Other than speed, are there other advantages to doing a local install?

Also, on the NutCracker web site, there are simulations of some of your example effects.  How were the simulations created? 

Thanks, Mike

Offline smeighan

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, »
Sean,

I’ll been out to the NutCracker web site and I’m really impressed with what you have developed and setup.  Up to now, I’ve tried a few online target models and effects and have exported these to LOR.  As far as the exported extension issue (xml), I just renamed the file extension (lms for LOR).  However, the exported file opens up in LOR as all the channels being LOR controllers rather than DMX.  Is there something I doing which is causing this?

I understand installing the software local on my computer is a much more efficient way to use the software.  Other than speed, are there other advantages to doing a local install?

Also, on the NutCracker web site, there are simulations of some of your example effects.  How were the simulations created? 

Thanks, Mike

I will have to let the lor people answer some of these.

I think most people create a lcb file instead of lms because the lcb has no controller info.

You  load the lcb clipboard file and the just paste it where you want it.

For local installs the big issue for meis disk space. A lor or lsp user can quickly create 3-5 gigs fo disk space. With over 1,000 nutcracker users, I can't store all of than on nutcracker123.com

For simulations, you mean the animated gifs you see before you login
N?

These were created last apr/may with an early version of nutcracker. All of those effects should be there in the current nutcracker.
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, »
Sean and Mike,

I think Mike is asking how are you generating the gp files.  Mike the gp files are generated within Nutcracker as part of the build.  Gp files are used by gnuplot to create the animated gifs of the effect (both the large gif file and the thumbnail).  Sean's effect generator actually figures out the 3D geometry of those targets that are 3D (mainly mega tree) and your lights are plotted in 3D space against that target.  Gnuplot is a well used and community supported drawing tool that is part of the GNU freeware licensing.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mrduncan

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, »
So, in summary, it best to do a local install of the NutCracker software and the local install will also generate animated GIF's.  Thanks.

Offline smeighan

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, »
So, in summary, it best to do a local install of the NutCracker software and the local install will also generate animated GIF's.  Thanks.

Yes, but the axiom "You always create a defect when you solve one" holds true for local installs.

Here are the bad things about a local install

1) There iis no gallery. The 10,000 effects, 3 gigs of anoimated gifs is gone. This was because i wasnt going to make the install file go from 15mbytes to over 1 gogbyte.
Soon i will have a command that will build a local gallery. not yet
2) As you create or modify effects, they are lost when you do a new install. We are going to work on solving this this year.

The good things of a local install
1) No disk space limitations like i have on the shared server
2) Reliable performance. nutcracker123.com can sometimes be fast, sometimes slow. We are sharing with 1000 other users.
3) You can build effects on your laptop without an internet connection. currently once nutcracker is running on a local install, it needs no internet to run.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline tennhillbilly

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, »
Thanks, I did download Chrome and now I am able to listen to the tutorial for newbies.