Author Topic: 2012 vids  (Read 8336 times)

Offline meman

Re: 2012 vids
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, »
Real nice job. The strips and floods really make the snow glow beautifully 

Offline zwiller

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, »
Thanks again for the kind words. 

These are the spots.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login For 10W they are bright!  The part in Christmas Eve at 2:37 with them vs 4 aethers is pretty intense in person. 

Everything but the columns are flex strips.  Cavu2u is spot on with the rectangular modules.  Cheesy pic attached.  I made a jig to get equal spacing of 2.5" to led center.  I can get more pics and more info if you want...   Ask away!

Royalties for the Zwilluminary (tm) are only due when using or the modifying the official company product which is not in any shape or form to be construed as a large cottage cheese container.   ;D

Haven't worked out the logistics etc but I would like to share some sequences in the future. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

sjb

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, »
Thanks Sam

Are the Flexstrips encased in anything or how do you have them attached?

Steve

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, »
Nice show. The columns are a great Idea.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, »
What did you use to drive/control the spots?  I like the effect they give.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, »
Im guessing he used MR16's for the floods
Sebastian from California

Offline zwiller

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, »
The flexstrips are not enclosed at all.  Pic attached.  They are mounted with the clips that came with them plus a dab of silicone adhesive every 6-8" or so (I ran out of clips).  I plan to add more clips once they are down.  I also used more silicone adhesive near the wires for added protection.  Not sure if Ray ships them with all flexstrips but mine came with the clips, an assortment of splicing and end caps, and adhesive...  Knock on wood, they have seen alot of rain, snow, wind, and below freezing temps and are still going.  I had to show off the corners which were alot of work to ensure they lined up.  There was alot of sketching and measuring that went into these... 

In the past I wrapped the columns with incans for 4 channels of 100 each channel so making them rgb was just an upgrade.  You can some cool things with the columns even with just 4 channels of incans.  See some of my older vimeo vids for ideas. 

Yes Sebastian there is a MR16 is powering the spots.  Although I have to admit when Keith asked the question it made me think...   :o  You could use a dsc.  This would come in handy for remote areas.  It's actually hard to believe that much light came from 80w total! 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline zwiller

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, »
Boy I am having the worst time posting lately...  I had rekey things a few times (all user error of course)   ;D

Anyway...  Due to extreme OCD I fixed and tweaked the Palladio sequence.   >:D  Yes I dragged my ladder out and fixed the errant spot on the upper left! 

Planning to shoot a new vid along with several other sequences tonight.  That is, if the snow slows down...  Wish me luck!

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, »

Yes Sebastian there is a MR16 is powering the spots.  Although I have to admit when Keith asked the question it made me think...   :o  You could use a dsc.  This would come in handy for remote areas.  It's actually hard to believe that much light came from 80w total!

Could you use a DSC?  That's what I was wondering.  I do not have one or have any experience with them and do not really know their capabilities.  Guess I need to read up on them.

Thanks again and nice show.  Looking forward to more videos.
-Keith

Offline zwiller

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, »
I don't have any DSC's either but I imagine it would work fine for powering 3 spots.   Nice little form factor.  Something that will make you consider the DSC is the fact I ended up needing a ton of wire to connect the spots to the MR16.  I didn't realize that at first and it adds up.  So one would need to compare the costs of the MR16, power supply, wire, and connectors versus DSC, cat5, connectors, and wire.  If enough of you guys like the spots then maybe we could ask RJ to consider modding them to rgb.  Similar to these: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I am not aware if any dumb rgb versions of this fixture...

Some new vids:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Palladio Revised

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer- really disappointed the camera failed to capture all the great color.  Not sure if you can tell but there is red on green, blue on orange, purple on yellow.  Although this one is still missing some of the detail that I had in previous years, it is by far my best kid friendly sequence.  I plan to add Grinch this year, heavy with green...   ;D 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Wizards in Winter (if you like the spots check out the section at 2:30)

and lastly....

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Wish Listz

Besides a new camera  ;D, if anyone has suggestions to improve my show please speak up.  Nothing wrong with some constructive criticism. 

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, »
I still think the show is awesome, the only thing I'd suggest is adding an RGB Mega Tree... With your sequencing capabilities, it would be a sight to see! Other than that, I have nothing I would complain about. Doing a great job!!
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline zwiller

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, »
Thanks jem.  Great suggestion.  Come to think about it I think the reason I never did a SS mega tree is due to the fact I remember when everyone was having issues with first generation nodes with their mega.  It was ugly...  That said, seems like those issues are basically behind us and that tree that Keith (lonewolf41) did is just perfect to me.  Another cool thing is Ray is releasing a new node which looks like it will work well for megas. 

I guess everyone else is chicken to criticize. >:D 

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, »
if you do the mega tree, i recommend placing the ssc in the pvc with two holes in the bottom cap. and attach the ssc to the bottom of the line that supports your tree to help keep water out.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, »
I don't have any DSC's either but I imagine it would work fine for powering 3 spots.   Nice little form factor.  Something that will make you consider the DSC is the fact I ended up needing a ton of wire to connect the spots to the MR16.  I didn't realize that at first and it adds up.  So one would need to compare the costs of the MR16, power supply, wire, and connectors versus DSC, cat5, connectors, and wire.  If enough of you guys like the spots then maybe we could ask RJ to consider modding them to rgb.  Similar to these: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I am not aware if any dumb rgb versions of this fixture...

On just the white sports are there just the 2 wires (positive/negative)?  Trying to figure out how you could use a DSC.  I like the form factor and was thinking about a couple.  I don't have that far for the corners of my house so I may just do the same with a mr16 (since I have one already)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, »
What's to criticize?  I wish my show would come together as well as yours does, but go buy a new camera.  Justify it by needing to take pics and vids of that new baby.  She could never disagree with that.  LOL
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA