Author Topic: Panther DMX Player - Video added  (Read 8171 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Panther DMX Player - Video added
« on: January 02, 2013, »
Some of you many have read that I have created a Standalone SD Card RGB DMX Controller. I have also been playing around with Pixelnet, which got me thing. Instead of a Standalone RGB DMX SD Card Controller would it be better to have a Standalone SD Card DMX Player that would send out DMX Signals reading the values to send from an SD Card. As DMX is only 512 channels I think this would be do able. It would not have the ability to send sound, as if you wanted that then the conductor would be the way to go.  Just thinking, your thoughts.

Added pics.

Video Added
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, by TexasStingray »
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: DMX SD Card Player or A Standalone RGB DMX Controller
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, »
Sounds good. If you were to modify a conductor file to only have 512 channels it may be easier for end user and you to create data needed to go on the card. Most software used to sequence has some path to create a conductor file. The users would just make sure the elements sequenced are located in first 512 channels.     So maybe you can create a utility that strips the first 512 channels from a conductor file and creates a file for your sd card.

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, »
An SD card based DMX player would be a useful item, especially for year-round items.

Josh

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, »
I have wanted a standalone (no-computer) driver for some low channel count Servo and Light sculptures (no audio). The conductor is overkill. This might be perfect.

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, »
Thought I would post some pics of the Panther DMX Player.  The first pic is the board without the SD Card module plugged in. The second one is with it plugged in and next to a Lynx USB Dongle for size comparison, as it was designed to fit in the same case. There are 2 sets of jumpers near the back of the RJ45 plug to allow it to feed out the supply 12 volts to power a low current single DMX device if needed. I have also added a set of 5 pin connectors (not installed) near the bottom right for future use. Now just to get some professional PCB make.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, »
I'd be interested in a DMX SD Card Player.  Could see quite a few uses doing off season stuff.

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, »
Count me in.....Although the Conductoris cool, and I see it's potential, it is somewhat overkill for the smaller projects...play out 1 or 2 sequences..repeat...
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, »
Cool stuff can't wait to see it in action.

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, »
This is exactly what I have been looking for to drive some standalone animation.  All of them have low channel count and repeat the sequence every few minutes but currently I have to use a computer to drive them (no conductor yet).

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, »
This would be great to control my Aethers in the off season as uplighting for my yard. Im very interested.
Sebastian from California

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, »
What about transmitting 4 universes of DMX over the 4 pairs coming from the RJ45 connector?  (...like RJ does for the 4 Pixelnet universes coming out of the EtD)

2048 addresses would be great, and it would only require a combiner (or similar made from cables/pigtails) to access each of the universes.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, »
The pic RJ uses in EtherDongle is very powerful and fast and has at least 4 Uarts.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, »
The pic RJ uses in EtherDongle is very powerful and fast and has at least 4 Uarts.
I'm hoping there is still enough ooomph in StingRay's design.  There would be just 1/8 the number of channels (2048/16384), pixelnet timings are faster compared to DMX, and RJ planned a lot of reserve capacity in EtD for the mp3 and network features.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, »
Count me in as interested too.

Ron

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, »
What about transmitting 4 universes of DMX over the 4 pairs coming from the RJ45 connector?  (...like RJ does for the 4 Pixelnet universes coming out of the EtD)

2048 addresses would be great, and it would only require a combiner (or similar made from cables/pigtails) to access each of the universes.

While this may be possible, I have a qustion. Is there really a need for that many channels with NO sound.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos