Author Topic: Panther DMX Player - Video added  (Read 8169 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: DMX SD Card Player or A Standalone RGB DMX Controller
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What about transmitting 4 universes of DMX over the 4 pairs coming from the RJ45 connector?  (...like RJ does for the 4 Pixelnet universes coming out of the EtD)

2048 addresses would be great, and it would only require a combiner (or similar made from cables/pigtails) to access each of the universes.

While this may be possible, I have a qustion. Is there really a need for that many channels with NO sound.
There are DMX decoders that can control smart strings.  With smart strings you can go through channels quickly.  While these decoders can handle SSC-compatible strings, you might also use such a device if you wanted to use the WS2811 strings.

Using DMX to drive pixels will limit you to 170 pixels per DMX universe.  With 4 universes you'd have incremental cost, but the ability to do 4 times the work -- 680 pixels.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, »
I have wanted a standalone (no-computer) driver for some low channel count Servo and Light sculptures (no audio). The conductor is overkill. This might be perfect.

How are you planning to put sequences onto the SD card? Did I miss that?
I could use a basic, single universe DMX player. Just a single sequence that looped.

Offline Steve Gase

I have wanted a standalone (no-computer) driver for some low channel count Servo and Light sculptures (no audio). The conductor is overkill. This might be perfect.

How are you planning to put sequences onto the SD card? Did I miss that?
I could use a basic, single universe DMX player. Just a single sequence that looped.
I wondered the same thing... 

What if you used the same file format used by conductor?  Xlights can do conversions, lsp supports it, and the file format is simple.  You'd just ignore the extra channel data for 2049-16384.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, »
The SEQ File is one continue binary file.  I use vixen os I create a converter that creates the SEQ file from the vixen sequence .vix file.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
DMX SD Card Player or A Standalone RGB DMX Controller
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, »
I was thinking I would use it to control several floods or maybe some Halloween stuff. For me personally I think 512 channels would be plenty without music.

Of course I thought 512 was a lot with music a couple of years ago.

I'd say keep it simple and go with 512 as you planned initially. If there is a need to develop further in the future then address it then. That way you get it out quicker.

Offline LtKadeo

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, »
Count me in think I could find lots of use for this in off season and Halloween displays - have some arduino programming and would be willing to help bata test if you need ...
Ted K

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, »
I have been looking for a stand alone dmx controller to cycle thru colors for some landscaping rgb led lights.  this would work perfectly for that.

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, »
Today was not to good of a day for my testing. Using the Arduino ATMEGA328P Chip has shown me how slow it is. I originally thought it would handle the 512 Channels as 50ms, Looks like it will only support 100ms. While it might be acceptable for some uses I not sure if that many people would won't something that slow. Please let me know what you think. Should I go with the 100ms or try learning how to program pic chips and go for a faster chip which would delay my release.

Thanks
Scott Wanner
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, »
100ms is plenty fast for anything i may need. 
Thanks
Roy

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, »
If you plan on this forum being your main forum for sharing your creations. Learn how to write PIC firmware. Most people have a pic programmer on this forum.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, »
If you plan on this forum being your main forum for sharing your creations. Learn how to write PIC firmware. Most people have a pic programmer on this forum.
+1

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, »
The Arduino software layers slow things down quite a bit.  Try doing direct register read/write instead and it should speed things up.
/mike

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
DMX SD Card Player or A Standalone RGB DMX Controller
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, »
I'd say keep at this version and 100ms is fine for what I was planning on. I'd like to see the Arduino version because it interests me.  If you want to pursue further then I would say after this is done look at a PIC and see if you can expand on the current design. Might be a good learning path for you and others.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, »
Yeah for me I was just planning on a few aethers doing color changes slowly, so 100ms is fine for what I would use it for.

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, »
For the uses I have in mind speed is not a big issue.  I think cost and reliability are more important.  I want to be able to set this up on a timer or maybe a button input to start it and have it run without an other intervention.