Author Topic: 50ms vs 25ms output rate  (Read 4695 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: 50ms vs 25ms output rate
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, »
Dennis I did not mean to imply that you were bashing anything or anyone. You and Jeff are much more knowledgeable than I, I was just trying to say that it does not look like Matt is going to give us the option to configure the timings. That is ALL that I was saying and I AM  learning that was not a joke.  <res.

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have thought about this several times. However, in the interest of keeping things simple, I am not inclined to make the timing configurable.

Can't xLights just read the timing from the Vixen sequence or profile that it's playing and adjust accordingly--so there would be no configuration required? Or is there something I'm missing?

Sorry if this thread if grating on you as so many people are asking for this feature.

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, »
I have thought about this several times. However, in the interest of keeping things simple, I am not inclined to make the timing configurable.

Can't xLights just read the timing from the Vixen sequence or profile that it's playing and adjust accordingly--so there would be no configuration required? Or is there something I'm missing?

Sorry if this thread if grating on you as so many people are asking for this feature.

It is not grating on me at all. I think it is a good discussion.

My input:

xLights now has several roles - it is a scheduler capable of driving a variety of protocols, it is a sequence file conversion tool, it is a test tool, and most recently, RGB effects generator (thanks to Sean and Nutcracker). ALL of these roles are based on 50ms timing. If I give you a choice of timing, I can't do it for just one section of the program, I need to make it work with all of xLights - across all functions and all protocols and all platforms (Windows, Mac and Linux). This would be a HUGE task, requiring a huge amount of testing, and raise new issues that would need to be addressed. For example, the xLights (xseq) format is based on 50ms timing. Now various xseq files in your show directory might each contain different timing. The scheduler would have to be prepared for this scenario, requiring extra code, and making playback slightly less efficient. The xseq file format would need to change, at least slightly to accommodate this. How do each of the timings work with each of the supported protocols (needs testing)? And on and on...

From my point of view, the costs outweigh the benefit. I would much rather spend my time adding capabilities to the RGB effects generator.

Sincerely,

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline rm357

50ms vs 25ms output rate
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, »
Hardware is easy. Software is the killer.

The software should just... May be a thousand times more complex than you think.

I work in software maintenance where a minor bug can take a month to find and longer to create the solution and properly test it...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, »
50ms is just fine for me and I suspect for most of the users.  We must remember that all these little adjusts - timing, bps, moving the beat one mark over, etc. are never / seldom noticed by the viewer.  I would much rather have the additional functions rather than a feature that only a few (IMHO) will use.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, »
I really appreciate Matt's response.  I work in the software industry and know what some of these changes can mean as well.  We at least know that it was a good idea to consider because Matt took the time to do a thorough analysis of the feature request and determine the amount of work and impact before responding.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, »
Using 50ms as a fixed grid is perfect for my programming.  I never got worried about a few ms here or there.

If you remember that nobody notices an event that is a little early but everyone sees it if is late, you'll be fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, by JonB256 »