Author Topic: Newbie choosing equipment  (Read 4241 times)

Offline jhoybs

Newbie choosing equipment
« on: January 05, 2013, »
I have been reading this forum for a year or two and trying to figure out what equipment I need to get started.  I have never done any animated displays, but I've been doing static displays for the last 20 years.  I intend to start out without music sequences (for now) and do simple color switching/fading.  I'd start out with colored LED strings, but may get into RGB floods within the next 4-5 years.

I think for starting out that the Lynx Express is the correct choice, but things get a little confusing after that.  I know that I need either a USB or Ethernet dongle.  So far, the picture that I've gotten is that the both require a controlling computer, but the (DMX) EtherDongle has the capability of running without a computer using a "Master" add-on module.  Is this info correct?

Also, is any further hardware required that I didn't mention?  I assume that I'd purchase both devices in a coop?  Are there any downsides to the EtherDongle vs USB?  How would this system change when I get into RGB floods? 
Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Lynx Expresses, Falcon Players, Falcon F16v3 & xLights

Offline caretaker

Re: Newbie choosing equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, »
SO far you have been doing a great job at researching the equipment here at DLA.  You had a couple questions about dongles so let's see if we can answer them for you:
Lynx USB dongle:
Pros, relatively inexpensive and easy to put together. Order the board from the store, the parts from mouser and after a few hours of soldering you have a way to send your sequences to your hardware either via DMX or Pixelnet.
Cons, requires a computer to run hardware, limited to 1 DMX universe or 1 Pixelnet universes. Not the best for high channel count shows.
Lynx Etherdongle:
Pros, Allows for multiple Pixelnet or DMX universes from one device, uses ethernet for faster data speed. Allows add on boards Conductor (show player the plays sequences and audio at preset schedule with out computer control) and Slave (syncs to conductor for expanding your show)
Cons, Requires more time and patience to assemble, requires more patience to set up.

My suggestion would be to get and Etherdongle as it lets you do more than the USB dongle would even though it has a little higher learning/technical skill level.
The next thing you should be looking at (even before you get your hardware) is what software you want to use (if you haven't already)

(corrected error thanks to Chris)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, by caretaker »
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, »
Lynx USB Dongle only outputs 1 pixelnet universe.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jhoybs

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, »
Thanks for the quick responses!

If I go the route of the EtherDongle with DMX firmware, would I need a combiner as well?  I haven't been able to determine from the documentation if the combiner is just for Pixelnet or if it is for all EtherDongle applications.

Jeff, you also mentioned buying the USB Dongle PCB from the store and ordering parts separately, does that hold true for the EtherDongle as well or would that be a coop?

In terms of software, I've downloaded Vixen and loaded it up, but I only watched some YouTube videos on a sample sequence so far.

I know I might be getting ahead of myself, but the USB Dongle communications method seems to be a virtual COM port whose port# is defined in the software.  Would the EtherDongle create a virtual COM port, our is there a different way that it is defined within software packages?  I couldn't find any documentation on setting up an EtherDongle, could someone point me to it?  It looks like from some diagrams that the EtherDongle could be attached to a local network (ie: router), but there was no documentation that I could find that talked about IP addressing.  Do most people just use it direct connected to a dedicated PC with a crossover cable?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a BSEE software engineer working in the LED lighting world so most of this stuff is right down my alley...
Jim H.
Muskego, WI

sjb

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, »
Not with going just LED's. Even once you go to RGB you will not need the combiner as you would just have to go to an active hub from the ether dongle and then from active hub it can translate to DMX to your Lynx Express.

Steve

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, »
the combiner was designed before the EtherDongle was released...

The original intent, was that you could combine the outputs of 4 usb dongle into one cat5 cable (each output on it's own twisted pair of the cable.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, »
Simple answer yes.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Will take the output from the Etherdongle and give you for universes (4 x 512) of DMX if your etherdongle is flashed with the DMX firmware.
Both the USB and Etherdongle are available through the store (when in stock) but while the USB dongle is never available in a coop the Etherdongle is and would save you some $$$ if bought that way.  Occasionally there is a coop for the case with laser cut openings for the USB dongle. 
That good you have gotten a start at looking at Vixen (check out all the software options out there to see what one fit you best) since sequencing is the most time consuming part of this addiction  hobby and if you can create 4 or 5 sequences before you even have your first Express built you will be way ahead of the game.  As I am sure you have already noticed everyone on here is super friendly and more than willing to answer your questions, point you in the right direction or give you there honest opinion from personal experience.
Jeff Squires

Offline jhoybs

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, »
Assuming I go with an EtherDongle with DMX firmware, are you guys implying that I don't need a combiner unless I want more than 1 universe?
Jim H.
Muskego, WI

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, »
While the etherdongle is a great way to go long term, don't pass up the USB dongle, it has many uses.  I keep one on my workbench to test things as I build them.  Especially useful when the show is running and your etherdongle is tied up with that.  It may be much easier to obtain an  USB dongle.  I have never seen the etherdongle in the store, but only in coops and they are not very frequent.  I would hate to see you not get started with something while you wait for an etherdongle.  A USB dongle never goes to waste and there is a market for used ones as well so not much risk.  Get the first thing available if you want to get started.  Be aware that you have to be quick to get into coops or to by things that are put up for sale.  Consider setting up a notify for the current coops group and also the sale/trade group.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, »
Assuming I go with an EtherDongle with DMX firmware, are you guys implying that I don't need a combiner unless I want more than 1 universe?

ok, i gotcha....

you could use a combiner connected the other way around to split out the 4 universes of dmx from an etherdongle with dmx firmware...

Offline caretaker

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, »
Again the simple answer is yes.... As long as you use LYNX DMX equipment or equipment that uses the LYNX DMX wiring scheme. (LOR for instance does not)
Jnealalnd's advice is pretty good, can never hurt and could be used in case a failure of your Etherdongle with minimal changes.
Jeff Squires

Offline caretaker

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, »

ok, i gotcha....

you could use a combiner connected the other way around to split out the 4 universes of dmx from an etherdongle with dmx firmware...
Chris I used to learn this stuff from you.... You been soldering way to many of those home built pixels... ;)
Jeff Squires

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, »
i've been living in the pixelnet world for too long to even think about 4 dmx unis from the eD...