Author Topic: Newbie starting with RGB DMX boards  (Read 9141 times)

Offline kernal

Newbie starting with RGB DMX boards
« on: January 09, 2013, »
Greetings from Moline, IL!  My name is Shane, and I have been bit by the Christmas light bug!  I currently have the Mr. Christmas that I purchased a few years ago from Menards.  I am ready to go big!   I have watched several videos on different  websites, but I am not that trustworthy of myself to jump in without some guidance....   So, if anybody would be willing to help me out, that would be great!  I would like to go with the RGB LED strips and nodes. I have ordered 5 dmx boards like Zach uses (lightuplawrence.com)  But I am not sure what program to use?  I have seen a few programs like Vixen and LOR and light show pro...  but would like to keep the price down and use the dmx.  But I am confused by how you can piggyback the 9 channel dmx boards to get multiple boards to operate sequensially together!

Also, can I use my current LED lights that I bought at the big box stores?  even if they are just a simple on / off commandwith out changing colors? 

Please and thank you for any help given!!
My license plate says blinky.

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
Re: Newbie starting with RGB DMX boards
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, »
Good Morning, Shane!

My name is Jamie, and if you'll allow me I'll try to answer a few of your questions.  There are other here on DIYLA that can provide much better answers, but since I am one of the first to see this... you are stuck with me. :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would like to go with the RGB LED strips and nodes.

That means you are going to need something that does DMX or, in the case of equipment here at DLA, pixelnet.  As you may, or may not, know pixels use three channels each.  One to control the red, one for the green, and one for the blue.  If you have a string of pixels that are 100 lights long, then you are going to use 300 channels just for that string! 

DMX is an industry standard.  Its arranged in "Universes" which consist of 512 channels each.  You can have a mixture of standard AC controllers (often called "lightpacks") and DC controllers (that usually control your LEDs, servos, etc).  The AC controllers will take care of standard incandescent lights, or pretty much anything using AC power. 
Pixelnet is a custom developed protocol developed by RJ here at DLA.  It, also, is arranged in "Universes", but they consist of 4096 channels each.  It was specifically designed to take care of the issue of needing thousands of channels to control light strings.

I have seen a few programs like Vixen and LOR and light show pro...  but would like to keep the price down and use the dmx

Ya see... I just didn't read far enough.. you already know what DMX is.  Ok, on to the software.
You've listed the "big 3". 

Vixen:  Free!  - and actively developed.  Its not commercial software, but its pretty darn good at handling large amounts of channels.
LOR S3:  ~$150 (less if you purchase a controller from them). - Pretty slick software and, through E1.31, handles all the RGB tasks.
LSP: $250-$400 - Not real familiar with this software, but there are many here who use it.

If cost is the issue, then Vixen is your likely candidate.  The nice thing is, you can download ANY of them for free, play around with them and then decide which you like best.  Choose wisely, because once you get used to an interface it becomes a struggle to change types later.  (I'm using LOR's S3 because I started with their controllers... I've tried to learn Vixen, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around it!)

I am confused by how you can piggyback the 9 channel dmx boards to get multiple boards to operate sequensially together!

Each board is assigned a different set of channels, so if you have a few 9 channel boards, the first would be set to channels 1-9, the second 10-18, etc.  While they receive ALL the channel info, they will only "listen" to their assigned channels.  You can also set separate boards up with the same channels so that you may have them duplicate each other (usually at different locations).  Daisy chain them all together (up to 32 controllers in the DMX world) on a single universe and you have a working light show! (well, once you get the songs sequenced, that is)

can I use my current LED lights that I bought at the big box stores?  even if they are just a simple on / off commandwith out changing colors?

Yeppers!  But as you said, they won't be changing colors.  Connect them to a dimmer pack, sequence your song to turn that channel on and "blinky"!!!  If you want changing colors you have to go with pixels.  Be careful though...  Different pixel strings use different voltages.  DLA controllers utilize 12V DC for pixels.  There are many out there that utilize 5V DC which are good, for example, with LORs DC controller.  Either type can be purchased as long as you purchase the appropriate controller.

I hope this helps!

Jamie
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline rm357

Newbie starting with RGB DMX boards
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, »
That website gave me some kind of security error and would not display...

DMX is a bus protocol. You have a transmitting device at one end, multiple devices hanging off of it, and usually a terminator at the far end. Most devices have two DMX ports so that the signal can be looped through and a switch that allows termination if it is the last item on the buss. If those DMX controllers are like the ones from holiday coro, the terminator is built in to each device and they are normally connected directly to a hub of some sort rather than allowing them to be daisy chained. This is the normal approach when the other wires in a cat5 cable are being used to supply power.

Pixelnet works the same way, but is Unique to DLA and is not compatible with DMX (although the active hub will translate one block of 512 channels into a DMX universe to control DMX equipment.

The standard for DMX connectors is a 5 pin xlr, but outside of professional circles, nobody uses those... In the prosumer market, 3 pin xlr connectors are common and for the rest of us, we normally use the 8-pin Ethernet connectors and/or Ethernet patch cables.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline caretaker

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, »
correction for the website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jeff Squires

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, »
Welcome Shane!

Those "9 channel" boards are actually 27 channel DC controllers - they can be used to control 9 sets of RGB lights. You cannot use DC controllers to control regular light sets that you would buy at a store because store lights plug into a wall outlet - which is 110-120 volts AC. The Lynx Express controller, available from this site, is a very fine 16-channel AC controller; although there are suitable AC controllers available from LOR and elsewhere that will do the job.

You have come to the right place for learning more about Christmas lighting. Be prepared to drink from a fire hose!

Matt

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

Matt Brown

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, »
Welcome to DLA, Shane!

Steve (from Austin)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline kernal

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, »
Ok, so can i use the boards that i ordered for a mega tree?  I ordered 10 strings of rgb led nodes (got a great price).  Will i have enough channels with the boards i ordered?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, »
Each one of those boards will handle 9 strings so two of them will handle your 10 with 8 to spare.  Make sure that the strings that you ordered are 12V dumb string.  Since the minimum voltage for this card is 7V, 5V strings will not work with this board and going with strings above 12V (if you can find them) could make it difficult to find a power supply for them.  You also need to check on how much current these strings use and make sure that they don't exceed what that card and the power supply you will be using to power them can provide.  These boards will also not work with smart strings so make sure not to order those but if you did, and they are 12V, then we have controllers that will work with them. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, »
To increase the board's current output. Please see this post. Post #48

I did this mod to seven boards and they ran great in my show this year.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, by dpitts »

Offline kernal

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, »
12v DC  is what i ordered.  Ip 66.  What kind of power supply does anyone recommend?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, »
ip66 is not waterproof.  Be careful.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, »
ip66 is not waterproof.  Be careful.

IP66 is not submersible but are water resistant and if done properly, should be able to deal with rain.  Many of the earlier nodes from Ray were not even close to their claim of IP66. 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, »
12v DC  is what i ordered.  Ip 66.  What kind of power supply does anyone recommend?

Most of us are using PC power supplies and your not going to get more bang for the buck from other types.  We use single rail supplies and if you go that route, make sure that the 12V output is supplying the required current.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, »
I like these...

they are waterproof and don't need an enclosure.  with 45watts, they won't do a big display, but they can still be used for multiple light elements.
I add them inline as a power injector... adding power over the unused wires in the cat5 cabling.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, »
I've used these with no problem.  they do require an enclosure though.
Someone within our local group is always ordering something from Ray Wu, so we combine orders to reduce shipping.