Author Topic: Newbie starting with RGB DMX boards  (Read 9137 times)

Offline kernal

Re: Newbie starting with RGB DMX boards
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, »
Ok...  so i ordered ten of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that are 15 foot long with 30 per string.  So if i am doing the math right i will need 900 channels???  (30 per string each light is 3 ch =90*10 strings)...   
My license plate says blinky.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, »
you have 50 nodes per string...

50 * 10 *3 = 1500 channels
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok...  so i ordered ten of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that are 15 foot long with 30 per string.  So if i am doing the math right i will need 900 channels???  (30 per string each light is 3 ch =90*10 strings)...   

That link is for 50 pixels per string -- not 30.

10 strings...  50 pixels per string, 3 channels per pixel -- 1500 channels.

If you decide to enable "hybrid mode" you can also control the strings so that all pixels on that string receive the same instructions.  For each string, add one virtual pixel, with its own 3 channels.   With hybrid you have 1500 + (10 strings * 1 pixel * 3 channels) = 15030 channels.

Since you asked about channel count, I want you to know that these are smart strings, and use Pixelnet.  (NOT DMX!)
Pixelnet has 4096 channels per pixelnet universe.  So, you have PLENTY of room.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, »
Somewhere between beginning of thread and now the subject changed from 27 channel dc DMX controllers and dumb strings to SmartString equipment and nodes. I think the OP should make sure he has a good understanding of the different technologies before purchasing.

The nodes you ordered will not work with Ray's 27 channel controllers. You would need to buy a USB Pixelnet Dongle or EtherDongle, computer power supply (single rail), 1 active or passive 16 port hub and most likely 10 SSC controllers.

Offline kernal

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, »
Thats why i posted in the "getting started" section!  Yes i am learning as i go.  I have no problem running into problems along the way.  I am having fun while i do it, and the money is really not an issue.  I like the versatility of the rgb led nodes and strips over the LOR plain ole blinky.  Like i said beforehand i am going from mr christmas plug and play to a whole new world.  Agreed?!!

Ok...   can i run said pixle net thingy, and then use these boadds i have for leaping arches?  Or maybe color changing stars on the roof?   

If anyone is in the Moline area, and want to come over, i will buy the beer and pizza!  Lol...   

Again, this is fun and i am learning....   

Offline kernal

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, »
And as far as the strings i ordered, i custom ordered them.  I got 10 strings that are 15 feet long with 30 lights per string.

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, »
No problem. Just making sure you have the info. DMX 27 channel controls with dumb strips and Pixel nodes with SmartString hardware is the exact same hardware i am using. So so far so good. Let me know if i can help.

Offline kernal

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, »
Please do!!!   Haha...   my brain is a sponge right now!   I need to know what i need to buy to make a pixel tree.   The rgb boards can be used in other elements!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, »
to make a tree, make sure to read up on different ways to make the pole for your tree, you should biuld this before july. so your not rushed in the 2nd half of the year.

if you ask 10 people, you'll get 10 ideas...

also, you'll need to attach your nodes to something like paracord, the nodes may not support their own weight just hanging from the tree.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, by chrisatpsu »

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, »
The great thing about this is that its all interoperable.
You can use DMX 110v controllers with dimming curves for your store-bought strings.
You can build coroplastic stars and candy canes with 3-channel DMX controllers.
The pixelnet smart string hubs can hand off a DMX universe (or multiple universes) to join it all together.

You can use wireless to join up the lights from your neighbor across the street. 
Time is the first requirement, money helps. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline kernal

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, »
I have been tinkering in the garage with different ideas, and i am glad i did bcuz everyone i see has trees that are 20 feet tall...   i dont want it that big.  I am gonna do 12 maybe 13 feet.   Hence the 15 foot strings.  I have about 8000 lights that i can try different things with.  Thats why i was wondering how to use my regular dumb strings with the boards i got.  Im sure there is a way to cut the plug off and put the two wire in the board.  But i dont want to fry the board putting the wrong wire in the wrong spot on the board... 

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, »
when you say dumb strings, are you referring to 12v dc lights that you get online, or just leds that bought at a retail store?

on the site even though 120v AC led strings are "dumb" as in not individually controlled. they're just regualar strings that you would power with something like a Lynx Express.

if they are the 12v lights that aren't individually controlled, thn they would be controlled with something like the dumbstring controller, the mr16, or ray's 27 channel controller.

Offline kernal

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, »
Yeah i consider the lights that i got at the big box stores as dumb strings.  Can i cut off the plug and use those on these boards? 

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah i consider the lights that i got at the big box stores as dumb strings.  Can i cut off the plug and use those on these boards?
The big box stores sell 110v products.
You'll want a 110v controller like the Lynx express (which is currently being sold in a coop).

Typically, people don't cut the connectors off -- you'll need to bring power from the controller to whereever you hang the strings.  That is usually done with conventional extension cords.  BUT people also buy SPT1 or SPT2 wire that they connect to the controller, and run that to the strings.  With the SPT1 or SPT2 wire, you'd add a receptacle (usually a vampire-type that is easily attached to the wire without a fuss.

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, »
I'm one of those who did cut off the cord ends, and replaced them with bullet connectors and used Lamp Wire to make my power runs.  Doing this, I could make a run of wire (say, along my arches), break off with a vampire connector, and then use bullet connectors to "patch in" to the signal.

Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!