Author Topic: NutCracker Observations  (Read 1210 times)

Offline mrduncan

NutCracker Observations
« on: January 10, 2013, »
I installed NutCracker tonight and have tried about 6-8 effect so far and below are my observations:

1. In order to change an existing effect, you have to give it a new name (I guess you can’t modify saved effects).
2. Count Down Timer:  I get an error “Notice: Undefined offset: 7 in C:\xampp\htdocs\nutcracker\effects\f_countdown.php on line 301”
3. I didn’t take note of effect names but some when I “submit the form”, the final screen and GIF never comes up (i.e. after about 10 minutes).  So, not sure whether the program is still crunching or the program has just stop working.

However, so far, the effects which do work are GREAT.

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Re: NutCracker Observations
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I installed NutCracker tonight and have tried about 6-8 effect so far and below are my observations:

1. In order to change an existing effect, you have to give it a new name (I guess you can’t modify saved effects).
This is not true. I modify effects all the time. Using Chrome, i go back to effect form and modify one of the effect variables an resubmit. I do not change the effect name. If you change the effect name you will end creating a clone of the originbal effect. Dont use IE with Nutcracker, it has a number of issues (Doesnt show gallery, doesnt support going back, animated gif performance is slower)
2. Count Down Timer:  I get an error “Notice: Undefined offset: 7 in C:\xampp\htdocs\nutcracker\effects\f_countdown.php on line 301”
What effect name were you workin on? I dont see this error.

3. I didn’t take note of effect names but some when I “submit the form”, the final screen and GIF never comes up (i.e. after about 10 minutes).  So, not sure whether the program is still crunching or the program has just stop working.
What effect? How big is your target? Most effects generate in under 30 seconds, some take minutes. None should take 10 minutes

However, so far, the effects which do work are GREAT.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline prof

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, »
Using firefox, updating effects on the local install works OK. Using IE 9, after changing an effect, the gif remains unchanged. I need to hit F5 to force a refresh. then the gif changes.

Also see the countdown error messages on local install. but not online. In both cases the effect is created correctly.
Using model/effect: V_MATRIX 05_CDOWN

Online using countdown,  I also see this error message: Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font End of animation sequence Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font End of animation sequence

Prof

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, »
Using firefox, updating effects on the local install works OK. Using IE 9, after changing an effect, the gif remains unchanged. I need to hit F5 to force a refresh. then the gif changes.

Also see the countdown error messages on local install. but not online. In both cases the effect is created correctly.
Using model/effect: V_MATRIX 05_CDOWN

Online using countdown,  I also see this error message: Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font End of animation sequence Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font End of animation sequence

Prof

This is known to the developers, but know that this is a harmless error.  We need to use a different font set for the page to have this error removed.  The system defaults to a scalable font when it has this issue.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mrduncan

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, »
Sean,

I use IE but will try Chrome.  I just noticed that after make multiple changing to a saved effect that the GIF never changed.

As far as the effects that never developed a solution or GIF, I didn't record the effects.  I spent a couple of hours playing with the effects generator and really didn't start making note of the problems I was having until close to the end of my play session.  I'll go back into NutCracker this weekend and let you know.

As far as the countdown timer effect, I was merrily trying to duplicate the coutdown timer annoucement thread you sent out on 29 Dec which resulted in the error.

Mike

Offline mrduncan

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, »
Sean,

XAMPP and Chrome seems to be best combination for my computer setup for local install.  I tried all the effects successfully except for Plasma.  Plasma seems to lock up the program.  I have to exit out of the program before the program will respond.  Thanks for all your help.

Mike

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, »
Sean,

XAMPP and Chrome seems to be best combination for my computer setup for local install.  I tried all the effects successfully except for Plasma.  Plasma seems to lock up the program.  I have to exit out of the program before the program will respond.  Thanks for all your help.

Mike

Plasma is not released. it is just in beta testing. I built it and it did not create the kind of effect i was expecting, i will mark it as inactive so it doesnt show up in the pull down list.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login