Author Topic: Question from a noob  (Read 1882 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Question from a noob
« on: January 11, 2013, »
If I'm wanting to run an Express v5 with future plans for SS's, would it be best to just get a PixelNet EtherDongle instead of a normal DMX dongle?

If I'm understand correctly, if I did the above I'd have to go to the PixelNet EtherDongle from my PC, to a SS Hub and then on to my Express v5.  Is this correct thinking?  Can I go straight from the PixelNet EtherDongle to an Express v5?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

Re: Question from a noob
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, »
Smartstrings use Pixelnet. Express v5's use DMX. The etherdongle (flashed with pixelnet firmware) is the equivalent to 4 USB dongles (flashed for pixelnet). The SS hub has 1 DMX output that mirrors 1 of the Pixelnet universes. I would use that output to go to the Express v5. You could run into trouble using USB dongles if you have high channel counts with lots of effects. The etherdongle is much faster.

Offline deplanche

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, »
There are two different types of dongles - USB Dongle and Etherdongle.  Both are able to be programmed for either DMX or Pixelnet. 

If they are programmed for DMX, then you can go straight from the dongle to the Express.

If they are programmed for Pixelnet, then you would need to go thru a SS Hub to separate the DMX signal from the pixelnet, and connect to the Express.  If you aren't running any smart strings at this time, I see no benefit to doing it this way, unless you are using a conductor. Only the Etherdongle will run the conductor, and the conductor currently is only able to be programmed for Pixelnet (not DMX).

So I guess my advice would be to get the Etherdongle, and program it for your needs.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, »
So I guess my advice would be to get the Etherdongle, and program it for your needs

That's what I'm leaning towards.  I realize that if I'm only going to run an Express this year then using an etherdongle isn't necessary when I could get by with just a DMX dongle, but I figured if I wanted to use SSs in the future I might was well start with using a etherdongle since I think the prices are nearly identical.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline deplanche

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, »
Just to be clear, the USB dongle will run the smart strings if you program it with pixelnet.  It just doesn't have as many channels available and can't use the conductor.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, »
One thing to remember is that the Etherdongle does not USE the conductor, it BECOMES the conductor.  As for which dongle to use, the conductor is the way to go.  While the USB dongle is still a very usable device, it is at the end of its development life.  Any new cool functions yet to come or new devices to be supported will be coming on the Etherdongle. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving