Author Topic: Multiple Universes  (Read 2459 times)

Offline mitch09

Multiple Universes
« on: January 11, 2013, »
Just checking to make sure I understand correctly here. This year I ran about 3000 channels of pixelnet including my first 512 for dmx on one pixelnet universe. I am planning on changing my mega-tree over to rgb and I believe will need another universe. Am I correct in my thinking that the one etherdongle will put out 4 universes of pixelnet and I just need to set the jumper on the other 16 port active hub I am using to Universe 2. This will also control all of my current dmx stuff in my yard.

Thanks for correcting or reassuring me,

ryan

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: Multiple Universes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, »
You are correct Sir, the etherdongle puts out 4 x 4096 channels = 16,384, so it can support 4 Smart Hubs and each Hub support 4096 channels. So Hub 1 can be set to PixelNet Universe 1, Hub 2 PixelNet universe 2 etc.

Offline mitch09

Multiple Universes
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, »
Thanks. Just thought I'd ask instead of trial and error.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, »
and then hibs set to different uni #'s can be in any order...  if using 4 universes, the 2nd hub you come to can be on universe 4 for example
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, »
...and, each smart hub has the ability to select any of the 8 512-channel blocks to expose as DMX channels.

Each smart hub has 4096 pixelnet channels.   Think of them as 8 blocks of 512...  (8x512=4096).  A jumper lets you access any of the blocks. 

The devices attached to DMX still think of themselves as devices with a channel assignment from 1 through 512.  But the software thinks of it as channel in the range of 1-4096.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mitch09

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...and, each smart hub has the ability to select any of the 8 512-channel blocks to expose as DMX channels.

Each smart hub has 4096 pixelnet channels.   Think of them as 8 blocks of 512...  (8x512=4096).  A jumper lets you access any of the blocks. 

The devices attached to DMX still think of themselves as devices with a channel assignment from 1 through 512.  But the software thinks of it as channel in the range of 1-4096.

Steve,

Does this mean if I use LSP I could technically just have one controller e1.31 for every 4096 channels, then have light elf turn it into a xseq file?

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, »

Steve,

Does this mean if I use LSP I could technically just have one controller e1.31 for every 4096 channels, then have light elf turn it into a xseq file?

I use one E1.31 etherdongle for three hubs, 12288 channels. In the first hub i also use 70 channels of DMX.

This worked perfectly for me. I have two active hubs and 1 passive, I am finding that i am not using that many Lynx Express channels , but am making most of my display smart rgb.

It looks like i will be running close to the 16K channels this year.

E1.31 + 4 hubs + 64 SSC's

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mitch09

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, »

Steve,

I use one E1.31 etherdongle for three hubs, 12288 channels. In the first hub i also use 70 channels of DMX.

This worked perfectly for me. I have two active hubs and 1 passive, I am finding that i am not using that many Lynx Express channels , but am making most of my display smart rgb.

Are you going to run this with LSP scheduler, xLights, Conductor, or something else? I have read that large channel counts are becoming an issue with schedulers. I have always used xlights do I need to get in on a conductor coop?

Ryan

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, »

Steve,

Are you going to run this with LSP scheduler, xLights, Conductor, or something else? I have read that large channel counts are becoming an issue with schedulers. I have always used xlights do I need to get in on a conductor coop?

Ryan

I am using xlights version e. it worked fine with the 12K channels.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, »

Steve,

Does this mean if I use LSP I could technically just have one controller e1.31 for every 4096 channels?

In LSP you would set up 1 E31 contoller output for all of your channels. I would break things out into different zones, such as put all of the tree channels on zone 1 and all DMX on zone 2. Something along those lines anyway. Doing it all with E131.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, by rdebolt »