Author Topic: Full Circle or Half MegaTree  (Read 5914 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Full Circle or Half MegaTree
« on: January 11, 2013, »
Comment any advice for your design you used..
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline pk

• Patron Member
Re: Full Circle or Half MegaTree
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, »
I did a full mega tree using incans in 2012( 48 strands/24 channels).  If doing a tree with SS nodes or flexstrips, I would do 1/2 circle.

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Full Circle or Half MegaTree
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, »
I had a 32 string 50 node full tree for 2011 and 2012. I am building a 24 string 50 node half tree this year in addition to my full tree. Half trees and full trees are both cool. My new half tree will be more flat with a slight arc at the bottom. Better for drawing graphics on. I really like the webbing approach for building trees.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, »
I have always used a full tree and will do so again in 2013, but if I were to move my tree back and make it a half tree it would really open up my very small lawn for some more items. I just have not figured out what yet.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, »
Are you asking about pixel trees or just in general? My led tree is full but if I was to do a pixel tree it would be a semi-circle.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, »
Are you asking about pixel trees or just in general? My led tree is full but if I was to do a pixel tree it would be a semi-circle.

you're explanation is good enough!   :)

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, »
this year, i had a 16 string incan megatree (run by an express) full circle

and a 16 string - 40 node smart string mega tree (full circle)

after looking more into nutcracker, I'm thinking of maybe moving the smart string tree to a half circle...

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, »
I guess I am the only one but my family and I are not overly impressed with mega trees that have text or graphics.  Also, I know you need it to keep it more matrix style, but we don't care the flat tops on these trees. 

Am thinking 16 string half circle with 60 nodes on 2.5" centers.  I need to do some more research whether it best or not to "fold" the string and use 1 ssc for 2 strings. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline warspyder

• My Black Jeep
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, »
2012 was my first year with a mega tree. I used conventional leds with my tree up against the house. It actually turned out much better than I thought it would. I am thinking about a full circle and rgb ssc's for 2013, but may stick with the half circle with the rgb's.
Mark Coulter
Oak Harbor, WA

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, »
Half tree
4 strings of 72 nodes folded in half at the top to make 8 strands of 36
4 sscs
10 feet tall with a 3" PVC middle pole anchored by an 80 lb poured concrete base in a bin
Cut the 10' pole about 10" from bottom and used threaded adapters to make the upper 9' removable from the base
Used 10' long 3/4" PVC and taped every other node to relieve the weight of the string from pulling on connections
Each of the 8 PVC pipes were anchored to ground with tent stakes to maintain their semi-circle shape and position
Had some windy days and it did not budge

I am considering going taller and more dense (pixel spacing and more vertical strands) this year

Offline rick surette

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, »
I am planning on a half mega tree based on Sean's. Where we are planning to put it you really can not see it from the back.

Rick

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, »
Am thinking 16 string half circle with 60 nodes on 2.5" centers.  I need to do some more research whether it best or not to "fold" the string and use 1 ssc for 2 strings.

I used folded strings in 2012
Was no issue for all the nutcracker generated effects, BUT there were some things I wanted to do that I could not figure out how to accomplish in nutcracker so I did by hand in vixen ... Got very complicated because of the folds

I'll either go to one ssc per vertical strand, or create a program to manipulate my routines as needed for these portions, or figure out how to do what I want with nutcracker or xlights to avoid this going forward

If using smart strings in hybrid mode Then 1 ssc per vertical strand enables easier programming of simple routines as well

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, »
I guess I am the only one but my family and I are not overly impressed with mega trees that have text or graphics.  Also, I know you need it to keep it more matrix style, but we don't care the flat tops on these trees. 

2011, i did the same rgb mege tree, but with 8 strings f 80 nodes, folded over...  it made it a little more complicated in vixen, but i still managed... I know you use lsp, but it was enough for me to just switch to each having it''s own string. easier to manage with replacing nodes as well after they were on.

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, »
My tree this year was only incad. Other years it has always been full circle. I think full circle is important for the effect but I have a layer of multi full circle in 12 slices and then I have a half circle of green in 6 slices and then I have 5 horizontal stripes of both red and green and they are only half circle as well. I only did half because I would have needed more lights. If you tend to watch the light show from different angles you may not like it like that.

Zac

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, »
I had a 32 string 50 node full tree for 2011 and 2012. I am building a 24 string 50 node half tree this year in addition to my full tree. Half trees and full trees are both cool. My new half tree will be more flat with a slight arc at the bottom. Better for drawing graphics on. I really like the webbing approach for building trees.
What is the "webbing approach"?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro