Author Topic: Full Circle or Half MegaTree  (Read 5917 times)

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: Full Circle or Half MegaTree
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I had a 32 string 50 node full tree for 2011 and 2012. I am building a 24 string 50 node half tree this year in addition to my full tree. Half trees and full trees are both cool. My new half tree will be more flat with a slight arc at the bottom. Better for drawing graphics on. I really like the webbing approach for building trees.
What is the "webbing approach"?

1" Poly webbing with 3/8 holes burned in it for every node. No zip ties or tape needed. I did 1600 nodes in one day.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, »
I had a 32 string 50 node full tree for 2011 and 2012. I am building a 24 string 50 node half tree this year in addition to my full tree. Half trees and full trees are both cool. My new half tree will be more flat with a slight arc at the bottom. Better for drawing graphics on. I really like the webbing approach for building trees.
What is the "webbing approach"?

1" Poly webbing with 3/8 holes burned in it for every node. No zip ties or tape needed. I did 1600 nodes in one day.
That looks like good material.  It seems to be based on Monkhouse's packing straps idea... but without the hassle of electrical tape to hold it flat.
How well does it work in keeping the pixels uniformly straight?  (better than the flat straps?)
What about weight?  is it noticebly heavy? about the same as the straps?
(i've heard that some people trying the plastic strapping material may go to the metal instead...)
thanks!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Full Circle or Half MegaTree
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, »
It depends on budget and your location.

Most locations don't really benefit from a full tree and its twice the cost and you won't see the backside very well .   

If budget is no issue and you got the time .... Then full is best I suppose.

I saw Sean's 1/2 tree and it was plenty good for me.   It was way more spectacular than my 18' full incandescent megatree ... Way more wow factor !
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, »
i did a 40 channel 40 led string full tree for my first year. i am definitely going with an rgb tree this year,  i am in the planning stage right now trying to figure out if i want a half tree or full tree. the problem in my yard is the room i have, i am cursed(blessed) with a big front yard. i almost have to have a full tree with my set up, at least 3/4 if possible. if i do a half a tree, i would have to move it further back in the yard and it won't be visible from one side of the yard. the position of tree now would have to be a full tree because you can see 3/4 of the tree. decisions, decisions...

my 2 cents

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, »
i may continue with the full because I already have the "portable hole" and tall metal pipe with winch, etc. 
but I see a lot of value with the half tree because (for the same investment) it allows you to more tightly pack the lights where the effects can stand out.  if you have 48 strings on a tall tree, the strings are fairly far apart at the bottom.  if you put the same 48 all to the front, the doubled density will allow the "raster" effects to work more effectively.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, »
That looks like good material.  It seems to be based on Monkhouse's packing straps idea... but without the hassle of electrical tape to hold it flat.
How well does it work in keeping the pixels uniformly straight?  (better than the flat straps?)
What about weight?  is it noticebly heavy? about the same as the straps?
(i've heard that some people trying the plastic strapping material may go to the metal instead...)
thanks!

The nodes stay extremely straight. I cannot compare to strapping method because I have not used that method (too many zip ties or tape for me). Never thought about the weight, it has not been an issue. The straps are pretty strong.   

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, »
hmmm, i guess if i make a full tree, sometimes i could just do half tree effects.....
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, »

The nodes stay extremely straight. I cannot compare to strapping method because I have not used that method (too many zip ties or tape for me). Never thought about the weight, it has not been an issue. The straps are pretty strong.   

Not to high jack this thread Chris, but since I am stealing dpitts ideas any way. Do you have any picture of your tree setup?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, »
i run it one more time tonight before I tear it down. haven't run it since Jan 2nd.   I'll take a pic.

basically 2in pvc held up by 4 ropes in each of the compass directions. then 16 strings hang from the top, so basically it has 20 guys wires.

the 2in pvc expands to a 3in then into a flange that holds an arcylic ball on top with a ssc and 6 metal squares inside to light it up.

here's a pic from when i first turned it on...

there are three battery boxes at the base, one with the hub, and 2 that held SSC's out of the weather.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, »
Not trying to get off topic, but when you said you are storing your SSCs in a battery box and it seems to me we all agree the best way to string a mega tree is to use separate SSc's per string AND with all of the interest in SS mega trees...  What if there was a mega tree controller (MTC) that was basically an a passive hub with 16 SSC's on one board with terminal blocks for 3 wire hookup?  I mean, all the channels will be grouped.  I know one weak link would be distance to first node but I wonder if this could be compensated for.  Just was day dreaming while I tear down on the 60F day in January in Ohio   ;D
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, »

Not to high jack this thread Chris, but since i am stealling dpitts ideas any way. Do you have any picture of your tree setup?

Offline wildwillie

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, »
Not trying to get off topic, but when you said you are storing your SSCs in a battery box and it seems to me we all agree the best way to string a mega tree is to use separate SSc's per string AND with all of the interest in SS mega trees...  What if there was a mega tree controller (MTC) that was basically an a passive hub with 16 SSC's on one board with terminal blocks for 3 wire hookup?  I mean, all the channels will be grouped.  I know one weak link would be distance to first node but I wonder if this could be compensated for.  Just was day dreaming while I tear down on the 60F day in January in Ohio   ;D

Great Idea! Getting back on topic, you could just populate half of it for a half a mega tree, and all of it for a 360.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, »

well, with a about 6ft maximum distance between ssc and first node, that would leave a almost 12ft in diameter mega tree. (more if you use null nodes)

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, »

Not to high jack this thread Chris, but since i am stealling dpitts ideas any way. Do you have any picture of your tree setup?
thanks, that looks nicely done.  there were suggestions of melting a hole in the plastic strapping, but in that case I think it would have weakened the material too much.  this looks to have no such problem.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, »

thanks, that looks nicely done.  there were suggestions of melting a hole in the plastic strapping, but in that case I think it would have weakened the material too much.  this looks to have no such problem.

As to hijacking the thread I am glad you did.  This is a great idea and probably what I will do for 2013 (wife said she wants a SS megatree).  +1 on the melting technique.  Do tell!
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login