Author Topic: Full Circle or Half MegaTree  (Read 5916 times)

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: Full Circle or Half MegaTree
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, »
dpitts,

Glad you cleared that up.  3/8" seemed small.  1/2" makes much more sense.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, »
Thanks, Kurt.  1/2" it is.  Punch is still the same cost.  Ok, you guys think the burning critical to the strength?  No fraying, etc.  I am interested in making a jig that will ensure even spacing and I can't see how I could do that with burning the holes.  Not opposed to burning afterword to seal the fibers. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, »
The holes came out really close. I used to 2 - 2x4x10 screwed together the make a jig to hold the strap. I then marked hole locations on the board. The holes were put in within an 1/8". I mean nothing as close to the aircraft assembly lines I used to help contruct but this is not flying at over 1000 mph either.

Offline wildwillie

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks, Kurt.  1/2" it is.  Punch is still the same cost.  Ok, you guys think the burning critical to the strength?  No fraying, etc.  I am interested in making a jig that will ensure even spacing and I can't see how I could do that with burning the holes.  Not opposed to burning afterword to seal the fibers.

I think the burning (melting)is the key. Keeps it all from fraying, and makes a nice strong hole to insert the node into. I was going to run with this idea, too. I was thinking 2 pieces of 1" wide sheet metal, with 9/16 holes spaced about every 4". Clamp the webbing between them, and you've got a jig all set to melt a bunch of holes on 1 heating.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, »
It would be an interesting test to see how bad the fraying could become with just a punch and a grommet put in place.  My biggest issue is that I live in a townhouse (no garage or semi-enclosed outdoorsy place where fumes wouldn't matter too much) and I would prefer a non-plastic/nylon burning scenario.  I think I am gonna test the grommet punch without burning and see how bad it is or can be potentially.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Full Circle or Half MegaTree
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, »
I think a bigger issue with rgb trees ... Will become the ability to also do text.   As you Said, the horizontal density is twice as good on a half tree, if you double up,in front ... Since normally the vertical spacing is much closer than the horizontal spacing.   I really think most of the full isn't visible ... In my yard, it's deep .... So as you said, place it back a bit and nobody can see behind it.   Plus these things are so directional. It limits what you can see, unlike a mini lights based tree.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, »
I think a bigger issue with rgb trees ... Will become the ability to also do text.   As you Said, the horizontal density is twice as good on a half tree, if you double up,in front ... Since normally the vertical spacing is much closer than the horizontal spacing.   I really think most of the full isn't visible ... In my yard, it's deep .... So as you said, place it back a bit and nobody can see behind it.   Plus these things are so directional. It limits what you can see, unlike a mini lights based tree.

I was amazed at how much of my half megatree is visible from behind. google map my address 4217 greenfich dr, 80126.

When people where on Goldcrest, they could see the megatree very bright and clear as you looked up kittiwake. This even though the tree is positioned nearly 180 degrees away from your vantage point.

As i mentioned before, the plastic sleeve of the flex strips glowed on its edges. I can stand behind my 20x120 tree and see the light animation for 18 of the 20 strands.

Remember my tree, flex strip is cabled tied to 1/2" metal emt, I will take a movie standing behind it and post it. My windows 7 box is now completely dead, i am using my windows 8 box. I luckily got the 500 gbytes of stuff onto a backup before it died. One issue is my Windows 8 box does not have firewire. My Sony TRV950 has the movies of my display. I ordered a firewire board from amazon, this week i should be able to capture video.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login