Author Topic: Waterproofing/protecting PC boards on LE  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Christmasaddict

Waterproofing/protecting PC boards on LE
« on: January 12, 2013, »
I touched on this subject a couple of years ago but was wondering what the current consensus is on spraying or applying some sort of protectant to the circuit boards on the LE's.  This is my 3rd year to run a show with LE's and to date I have not used anything on my boards.  I have had trouble with 1 LE but don't know if the problems were related to moisture.  Thoughts??

Offline mitch09

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, »
I only use Corrosion X. I have 8 LEs and the only triac problem I have had was on a board last year that I hastily put together and put out in the show without spraying. Oh and I live in north west WA where I get rain just about every day my show is up and running.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Waterproofing/protecting PC boards on LE
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, »
I have 10+ LEs outside, but all in CG-1500 cases.  I have never waterproofed anything and never had a problem.  Just my experience,  YMMV.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, »
Do you just use the standard Corossion X?  I noticed on their website they have several different ones.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, »
i purchased the heavy duty version of corosion x and after spraying it on a test surface I didn't feel comfortable putting it on my boards -- too thick for my taste.
maybe the basic product would be better.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mitch09

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, »
My LEs are in cg1500 cases as well but I coat the front of the board after it is mounted in the case with the red can corrosion x. I also coat my SSC and dSc with the stuff as well. It provides an oil like layer and it would not be fun to work on a board after it is coated but then again I haven't had a problem on the boards I sprayed.

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, »
Are the CG-1500 cases you both refer to the standard case that is used for the LE or is it something special?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, »
CG-1500 is the standard for the Lynx Express enclosures.  Multiple manufactures produce these.
btw...

There are "old" versions that work well because the holes in the LE pcb line up perfectly... and there are "new" versions that changed the location of the posts (stays) so that the pcb no longer matches up.

Unfortunately there are few of the old version enclosures out there.

New enclosures require that you get creative in mounting the board.  (People have used wood, plastic and other options to bridging the pcb to the enclosure.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, »
It's hard to know for sure when a problem is related to moisture or some fluke manufacturing defect that's slow to appear.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, »
12 le's this year in cg-1500 cases and i used the red can corrosion x as well. no problems on my end. you can buy it locally at grainger if you have one near you.

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, »
My LEs are in cg1500 cases as well but I coat the front of the board after it is mounted in the case with the red can corrosion x. I also coat my SSC and dSc with the stuff as well. It provides an oil like layer and it would not be fun to work on a board after it is coated but then again I haven't had a problem on the boards I sprayed.

Does it stay oily or does it solidify?  I'm assuming you're still able to work on components on the board if needed.  Am I correct?

Offline mitch09

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, »

Does it stay oily or does it solidify?  I'm assuming you're still able to work on components on the board if needed.  Am I correct?

Oily. It does wipe off with some work. I just replaced a few cords that were to short fir my liking and they were pretty oily.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, »
they make an aerosol electronics cleaner that evaporates. it should remove the corrosion x for repairs and just recoat when your done. i haven't had to try it but i am assuming that it would work.

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, »
I used the red can of Corrosion X.  I've had to replace triacs on LEs and I don't bother cleaning it off beforehand.  No problems so far.  I don't put on a heavy coat.  According to the instructions, the material is supposed to creep into all crevices.

I've seen it at Sears in the hardware department.  You might also find it at fishing stores and gun shops.

Offline Timon

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, »
Personally I'd stick with a true conformal coating designed for electronics. Google search for conformal coating will give you lots of information. Here is just one.