Author Topic: Triac's  (Read 1916 times)

Offline UncleBuck

Triac's
« on: January 14, 2013, »
OK, with about a week left in the show I had a couple of triac's stick open. They worked fine during a test and when the show was running but would never shut all the way off. At the time I did several things to try and get them to work but no success. Now that I have taken the display down I replaced one of the bad triac's and it works great. I went to place the other one from another LE and when testing it everything works.  ??? Has anyone seen this? Do I assume that the problem is fix or replace the triac anyway?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Triac's
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, »
I wonder if you have one of the triacs that are sensitive to cold weather.  A few years ago we all had to replace a bunch of triacs that would not function well below a low temp.  I don't remember what that temp was but if was like 30F.  We don't get a lot of cold stuff here in the Atlanta area, but the one my roof really started to act up.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, »
I would recommend further testing before replacing the Triac,  it could have been moisture or weak/cold solder joint causing the problem (try touching up the connections) or as jnealand said it could be a triac susceptible to low temps.  If you get some real cold days out try testing it and see what happens, the worst is you end up changing the triac.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, »
So cold weather is an issue?  But certain triacs? Hmm explains the random problems I've been having.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, »
...I went to place the other one from another LE and when testing it everything works

Are you "testing" with lights connected?  or just looking at the board LED's in test mode?
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, »
With the lights connected.

Offline rm357

Triac's
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, »
In colder areas, some folks like to put a c9 in the LE case to keep the temperature from getting too low. Where I'm at in Georgia, that's usually not a problem... I almost put on shorts yesterday... Our little bit of winter is usually in February.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA