Author Topic: Planning for 2013 Nutcracker  (Read 4480 times)

Offline caretaker

Re: Planning for 2013 Nutcracker
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, »
Depending on how in depth you want to get you might want to think about using a digital accelerometer like this
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  to translate the batons location in 3D space combined with some type of wireless communication. I know there is one that plugs directly into Adrino which might greatly simplify design and programming.  I worked with a friend who was using one on a hat to control head movements in a skeleton in real time.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline travailen

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, »
Dreaming on further, it would be nice if I could make models of all the things in my yard each with a starting channel and an x, y, and z location of each item. Then I would place them all in a “Bucket”. From that bucket, Nutcracker would then generate a single model that would represent my entire physical display. I would then select a song for that model and by making some formula choices Nutcracker would generate a Beat model. Then a final pass using some formula choices for color and I have a finished sequence.
As RGB gets more common and costs drop, the number channels in a display will become huge. Nutcracker came into existance to solve the first obvious RGB problem. How do you node by node program a relational RGB mega tree. The extension of that is how do you node by node, program a large relational full display.

Rick S

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, »
Dreaming on further, it would be nice if I could make models of all the things in my yard each with a starting channel and an x, y, and z location of each item. Then I would place them all in a “Bucket”. From that bucket, Nutcracker would then generate a single model that would represent my entire physical display. I would then select a song for that model and by making some formula choices Nutcracker would generate a Beat model. Then a final pass using some formula choices for color and I have a finished sequence.
As RGB gets more common and costs drop, the number channels in a display will become huge. Nutcracker came into existance to solve the first obvious RGB problem. How do you node by node program a relational RGB mega tree. The extension of that is how do you node by node, program a large relational full display.

Rick S

I have plans this year to build

Display is made of elements

Elemsts are megatree, arches, eaves, snowmen

Megatree is made of smart rgb
Snowmen are made of non rgb.

Object oriented, hierarchal model

this is not a small amount of work, but that is the general direction. I recently found a thread here with a program called Prancer. This is the direction i would like to take.

we will see

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, »
I'm going to play devils advocate here.

I have given this some thought. I have enough trouble keeping traffic flowing by my display as it is. If more people got out of their cars to participate in an interactive display I'd end up with a lot of very upset neighbors. I have no place for people to park much less there is no sidewalks in this community. I know this is probably the same for the general display population. Back in Texas I remember a display that offered a walk by option where you had to park blocks away and deal with dodging traffic to walk by. It could create some liabilities for visitor safety.

While it would be cool to have this technology in our displays but IMHO it is not generally practical.

Light Show Pro has built in support for Wii where you can use a Wii to control a light show. I am not aware of very many people using this interface, at least there has been very support questions ever posted relating to using the interface.

It could quickly become a lot of trouble monitoring the use of the interactive interface, keeping people out of the display and tracking any equipment you might have to provide such as the wands or Wii controls.

IMHO This type of technology is best suited for a commercial display where space and traffic is not a problem.

I particularly am cautious about the personal liability aspect of providing something that could present hazardous (traffic moving by) to a participant.

Just a few things to think about.

:)

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, »
I'm going to play devils advocate here.

I have given this some thought. I have enough trouble keeping traffic flowing by my display as it is. If more people got out of their cars to participate in an interactive display I'd end up with a lot of very upset neighbors. I have no place for people to park much less there is no sidewalks in this community. I know this is probably the same for the general display population. Back in Texas I remember a display that offered a walk by option where you had to park blocks away and deal with dodging traffic to walk by. It could create some liabilities for visitor safety.

While it would be cool to have this technology in our displays but IMHO it is not generally practical.

Light Show Pro has built in support for Wii where you can use a Wii to control a light show. I am not aware of very many people using this interface, at least there has been very support questions ever posted relating to using the interface.

It could quickly become a lot of trouble monitoring the use of the interactive interface, keeping people out of the display and tracking any equipment you might have to provide such as the wands or Wii controls.

IMHO This type of technology is best suited for a commercial display where space and traffic is not a problem.

I particularly am cautious about the personal liability aspect of providing something that could present hazardous (traffic moving by) to a participant.

Just a few things to think about.

:)

All valid concers. As I mentioned I am a scoutmaster and a former emt. When u have forty 10-13 yo's , you learn what can go wrong.

Our neighborhood has wide streets, adequate parking and sidewalks.

One thing that would keep crowds small isnitbgets could in December.

This would always be supervised and no more than one hour per day (since I have to be outside).

I have checked with my homeowners insurance and I am covered.

It may not happen for technical reasons , but we will see.

Thanks four valuable cautions, I have been thinking safety first before the display.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login