Author Topic: Nutcracker Grids  (Read 932 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Nutcracker Grids
« on: January 30, 2013, »
I was playing around with effects on grids.
My idea was to have several smaller 11x11 pixel grids.
When I try to use nutcracker and test an 11x11 grid it appears that many of the effects don't project well.
Is my grid too small?  What size is considered adequate for nutcracker?

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: Nutcracker Grids
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was playing around with effects on grids.
My idea was to have several smaller 11x11 pixel grids.
When I try to use nutcracker and test an 11x11 grid it appears that many of the effects don't project well.
Is my grid too small?  What size is considered adequate for nutcracker?

I know Sean is at Scout training but I can answer some of these.

11 x 11 is pretty low fidelity for many of the effects (especially any animated gifs, text,  or pictures), just doesn't give you a very big canvas.  I would recommend having at least 16 x 25 (that can be accomplished with 4 strings of 100 RGB pixels -- not very taxing for the smarthub stuff).   Also, many of the effects are really geared for tree configurations (like spirals, xmas trees, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Kurt

------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, »
I was originally thinking of creating a chain of individual snowflakes from coro and poking lights through and using dumb RGB.
But then I made things more complicated  :P.  What if I just created small grids of smart strings?  I could then light up lights on each grid and create a variety of geometric shapes like diamonds, circles(kinda) etc.  I picked 11x11 (121 nodes) grid as this is one string and controller per grid.  At least on graph paper, I find 11x11 is limiting for simple shapes as well. Diamonds, squares, rectangles work but more complex shapes are hard to approximate well).
Then I thought about Nutcracker, but I can see this size grid is too small.

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was originally thinking of creating a chain of individual snowflakes from coro and poking lights through and using dumb RGB.
But then I made things more complicated  :P.  What if I just created small grids of smart strings?  I could then light up lights on each grid and create a variety of geometric shapes like diamonds, circles(kinda) etc.  I picked 11x11 (121 nodes) grid as this is one string and controller per grid.  At least on graph paper, I find 11x11 is limiting for simple shapes as well. Diamonds, squares, rectangles work but more complex shapes are hard to approximate well).
Then I thought about Nutcracker, but I can see this size grid is too small.

I plan on offering the ability to link multiple grids together to make a larger canvas. You would define your 11x11 and then say that you will use 4 of them. Now you have a 22x22 matrix made of 4 smaller matrices. The reason? It is probabnly easier to manufacture smaller grids and then connect them together for the larger visual display.

Kurt is correct that a single 11x11, while it will display all teh effects we have, prob wont look too interesting. BTW, go ahead and make a 11x11 grid and then make a 22x22 matrix , you can now compare the effects on two different size targets.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, »
The grid linking idea is great!  Would be neat if animation could move from grid to grid as well.
I already tried your idea of a larger grid to see the difference.
Thanks