Author Topic: Does Corrosion X prevents shorts?  (Read 859 times)

Offline zwiller

Does Corrosion X prevents shorts?
« on: January 31, 2013, »
I think the weak link of my show were some ssc's laying on the ground, specifically the female cat5 jack.  I am thinking about some corrosion x for this. 

I can't seem to pin this down.  Although I would the like anti-corrosive properties of corrosion x does the stuff actually waterproof, seal the connection, and prevent shorts from water penetration?  I don't believe the stuff is designed for that, right? 

Thanks
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mitch09

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, »
I had 4 DSC laying in my grass(not ideal I know). I live in the PNW. I think I had rain all but two days my show was running. We are not talking a sprinkle here either. We also had a dusting of snow a few days. I sealed both ends of my DSC with hot glue(where the cat5 and pigtails come out). I then sprayed generously the female cat 5 connection and the pigtail. Then I taped over the top with electrical tape.
I never had any shorting problems.
Ryan

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Does Corrosion X prevents shorts?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, »
how well does this work for items (like rj45 connectors) that get connected, and disconnected repeatedly.

wouldn't the same waterproof coating prevent the contacts from... well, making reliable contact? :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, »
Excellent point Steve. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mitch09

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, »
I don't know about it causing an issue with contact. I actually plugged mine in first then sprayed the connection with Corrosion X.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, »
Someone on here (DLA) made a suggestion for stretching a small balloon over the connection.  Small being relative to cutting a hole in one end and it being small enough that it would pretty much seal around the wire.  I never saw any detail, but I think of it like a sock with a hole in the toes and stretched over one wire,  Then make the connection and pull the "sock/balloon"  over the connection to keep water out.  Kind of like heat shrink but using a stretchy shrink.  Just a thought.  I just do not like the thought of spraying stuff on my boards and then having to do future repairs on them.  Just my 2 cents.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, »
One thing to remember is that Corrosion X is NOT a waterproofer.  It is a water displacer.  Much like WD40, it gets between the water and the board or connector it is protecting but unlike WD40, it is thicker and lasts much longer.  Contact pressure displaces it so it works well for connectors as well.  Since it is semi-fluid in consistancy, when you unplug the RJ45, it flows back over the pins and when you plug it back in, the contacts push it back out of the way. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mitch09

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, »
That would explain why I had no problems in pouring rain and exposed cat5 connections.