Author Topic: DMX Question  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Orion

DMX Question
« on: January 31, 2013, »
I will only be running 1 DMX universe.  My question is do I need a combiner board or in my case a splitter or can I run cat5 out of etherdongle to my first LE?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: DMX Question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, »
no, you won't need a (de-)combiner...  the other 3 pairs will be ignored by your DMX devices.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

sjb

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, »
Cat5 from etherdongle straight to your first LE.

Steve

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, »
To be more exact, Orion, you will simply download the firmware for the Etherdongle for DMX.  It is very straight forward.  The firmware is available on the WIKI page for smart strings under the info for the Etherdongle.  You will need a Pickit 3 to do the upload to the Etherdongle.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, »
As mentioned, there are TWO different firmware choices for the etherdongle.

(1) DMX only -- thats the one you need
(2) PIXELNET -- thats the one most people use, but it requires a smart string hub then, because its outputting pixelnet instead of dmx.
                        then they get DMX from the smart string hub DMX-OUT port instead.  If you only use DMX and no smart strings, then
                        option (1) is cheaper
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login