Author Topic: Which RGB System??  (Read 4130 times)

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: Which RGB System??
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Steve, for comparison.

32 universes

DLA
1 Etherdongle, (4) 16 port passive  hubs.  $94 + 4x$42 (last years prices) = $262. Now you need to get SSC's. Assume you try to maximize using 128 node strings. Then you only need 11 ports from each hub. figure $110 for 11 SSC's per hubs times 4. = $440. Total cost $262 + $440 = $702.
Notice our SSC's nearly triple the cost of the electronics as you add lots of pixels.
You would have 64 ports to drive strings

San Devices E682
1 etherswitch ($50) , (4) E682s ($180 assembled) = $770.
 Each string needs to be close, these outputs are not rs485. They do not have DMX.

J1sys ecg-p12r
1 etherswitch ($50) , (3) E682s ($180 assembled) = $590.
Each string needs to be close, these outputs are not rs485. They do offer a driver and receiver for $20 per string. If you put drivers on all 36 ports you would add another $720 to cost.
They do not have DMX.
This system will needs lots of power injection since they are driving 170 pixels per port. Those extra power supplies probably add $100-200 more
36 ports to drive 36 universes.

If there was a way (there isn't) to not need the SSC's, our setup would be the cheapest by far. e682 and p12r just connect their strings directly to their cards.

E682 and j1sys do not have a DSC. This is another advantage of our Pixelnet setup.

Like i said before, Pixelnet works. It is what i will be using again. I also like having more ports. It helps when i want to have one line going to this eave, another to this arch.

thanks
sean

The SmartString system is not assembled so to compare apples with apples you need to choose none assembled controllers from other systems when you can. J1sys controllers do not come in kit form but E682 does.

So ...

San Devices E682
1 etherswitch ($50) , (4) E682s ($109 not assembled) = $486.
 Each string needs to be close, these outputs are not rs485. They do not have DMX.

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
Which RGB System??
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, »
That's one of the reasons why I didn't want to mansion the warranty, it's in my past for now. Anyway, I've thought about getting whatever I can unassempled so I can put it together lol
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, »
it would be hard to find a licensed electrician that would want to take on that kind of liability.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, »
I am sticking with RJ's gear due to the great design and support of everyone here, but wanted to mention that Minleon the owners of LSP are now in the rgb game.  I don't see that they are officially released but the winners of their lighting contest some of these and I think they will be the first to try them.  The contest gave somethings but what caught my eye was a single controller and mp3 player capable of 12,600 channels.  Something to consider if going non-diy. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, »
It is called UL certification and it costs a boatload of money and a lot of time to make that happen.  It is not for the DIY to even think about.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, »
This is why I wasn't going to post this on here because I know most people here use the SS strings and it seems like every time I try to post something on here it terns into something that doesn't have to do with what deal with. With that being said, I think everyone knows that I can't use the SS strings, or any of RGs gear, on a church; who cares about what it's official name and what it's technically saying. I'm just trying to find out about different systems that would work for my situation. If everyone has to keep going on about the "warranty" or whatever you want to call it, start your own thread because that's not what this thread is about.
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline keitha43

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, »
Sorry I just wanted it to be clear to new members who might read this thread that there is a reason that RJ does not allow his designed equipment to be used in non private installations. Sorry if my post offended you. That was not my intention.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, »
I've wondered before if its possible for a licensed electrician to inspect and certify a device for public use.  Essentially, taking on the responsibility of that installation.  I imagine there are a lot of custom installations of various devices created for a public setting, and not all are approved by UL.
Actually you would have to get an electrical inspector to sign off on an installation (of other than Lynx equipment)for a public display. Most electrical inspectors want to see a UL sticker before they will OK any equipment just because of the liability issue it depends a lot on the city and there policy. Having helped someone who ran a professional haunted attraction talk to the electrical inspector, the inspectors biggest concern was public safety which when we demonstrated that he OKed the attraction.
Jeff Squires

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, »
Understand some thing unless you play it safe.
And go with nothing unique, bold, different, creative or inspirational.

No matter what system you pick you will have problems to solve.
These people at DLA enjoy helping out.

What you don't know. Can hurt you.