Author Topic: Pics of SSC enclosures and pigtails  (Read 1426 times)

Offline UncleBuck

Pics of SSC enclosures and pigtails
« on: February 05, 2013, »
Does anyone have a picture of a completed SSC with enclosure. I'm a little confused on the pigtails and how  they connect to the RGB string and cat5. I'm trying to figure out everything I need to order from Ray for a 16 string 180 degree mega tree.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Pics of SSC enclosures and pigtails
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, »
The wiki has assembly guides with pictures:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There is a V3 modification that is applied to either V1 or V2 to bring them to the latest V3 rev which is supported by the latest firmware.

The cat5 pigtails are used to connect the SSC to the active hub.
The 3-core water proof connector is used to connect the SSC to the string.

Variations:
  • You could choose to connect strings directly to the SSC to save the $1.50 per controller.  (not recommended for swapping out controllers as a debugging/correction step)
  • You could choose to use a 4-core waterproof connector instead of the cat5 plug and pigtail (soldering required).  this will avoid the waterproofing concerns with the pigtails.
  • you could avoid the enclosure/PVC by keeping your SSC in a larger water-proof location -- if the wire to the strings is not too long.
  • you could run both the pigtail (to the hub) and the 3-core connector (to the string) through the same end of the enclosure/PVC.  this can help with water-proofing if you have the wires turning to the bottom.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, »
Thanks Steve, I overlooked the picture in the wiki of the full picture showing the pigtails.  <fp. I see on Ray's site the 3-core pigtails but not the cat5 pigtails. Are the cat5 pigtails something you just pick up locally?

I like your idea of one waterproof enclosure for all 16 strings especially when the only RGB stuff I will be doing this year is my mega tree. What's the furthest distance you can run from the SSC to the first node? Any idea's of what has been used for a larger enclosure?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, »
cat5 pigtails are in the store here on DLA

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, »
7-8', maybe longer with null (or blacked out) nodes:

2', but with a null node 8':
6' (per RJ):

btw... using a null node refers to having a pixel that does not generate light.  the pixel will still regenerate the data signal, and that unlit pixel has the effect of extending the string for another span...(2-6' ??)  you can use a damage pixel for this purpose, a pixel with a covering, or simply a normal pixel that you don't light with channel data.    [why black out the pixel? -- because your string might be in string or hybrid mode in which case that pixel would light with the others in the string]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, »
So if I put a water proof enclosure at the base of the mega tree housing 16 SSC's, the power supply and hub and splice in 4' of wire to each SS I should be just fine. Right?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, »
So if I put a water proof enclosure at the base of the mega tree housing 16 SSC's, the power supply and hub and splice in 4' of wire to each SS I should be just fine. Right?
right.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, »
as simple as it sounds...  make sure they don't touch each other of something that can short out.  (no screw holes to secure the ssc pcb.)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!