Author Topic: anyone need an fm transmitter check out link  (Read 1275 times)

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
anyone need an fm transmitter check out link
« on: February 06, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i bought one last november it ran thru the whole christmas season no problems
i did not use the attached antenna i used one from the wiki i built
no problem with using the 100 mw setting for me it reached just to my mailbox about 1/8 mile
from transmitter
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, by sabie »

Offline drlucas

Re: anyone need an fm transmitter check out link
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, »
thanks... since i won't post links to other sites (not sure on that policy), i'll just paste a review of what i saw on this...so it looks to be priced right there on ebay. Need to do some homework as the review of the device is a bit concerning to me for two reasons...seems like a flimsy antenna and i'm still not sure about broadcast rules up here in Canada. There are a ton of airplanes that fly over my house and I don't want the Feds who regulate radiowaves showing up at my door step. guess i have some home work to do on that front too...but i'm going to bookmark that link in the meantime. def need a transmitter :)

This is a review of the FM Transmitter (CZH-05B) which I recently purchased from amazon. It had been on the site for about $100 for a while, but a few days ago it dropped to around $60 bucks, so I jumped on it. The device is capable of transmitting at either 0.1 Watts, or 0.5 Watts, where the latter apparently has a range of one mile (I haven’t tested this yet though).

The device itself is pretty fragile. If you plug in a mono-microphone into the mic jack, it will break your device. If you turn it on without an antenna, it will break your device. The antenna on the back does not stay upright, it will fall over on its own. The print on the device looks quite cheap; it’s easy to tell this came from some factory in china.

These setbacks aside, the device seems to run pretty good. The sound quality sounded quite nice.

There are two modes, which are toggled using the power button. The station select mode lets you set a station, and shows an icon of a speaker with a slash through it. During this time the transmitter is not transmitting. Once you set it to transmit mode, you can no longer select a station, but your audio is being transmitted. This is so that you aren’t scrolling through all the stations and destroying all of the signals.

This device lets you transmit on the non standard FM stations (e.g. stations ending in an even decimal number). Some modern radios allow you to pickup these semi-hidden stations. I believe the stations were done like this because signals would bleed out to the neighboring stations, e.g. 100.2 would pick up 100.1 and 100.3.

Warning: Make sure you check with local laws. Depending on how you use it, this thing could be illegal. Make sure you are not broadcasting over top of other stations. If anyone ever complains, stop using the device immediately. Basically; don’t be a d....
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, »
I have this transmitter, how do you adjust it's power output?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
Re: Re: anyone need an fm transmitter check out link
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, »
I have this transmitter, how do you adjust it's power output?

You hold the power button in while you connect the power.

I have one that is very similar and it has worked great for the last two seasons. Very good reception 5 houses down in either direction.

BTW, my show computer controls power to the transmitter so I am only transmitting during the show.

Matt

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

Matt Brown

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, »
thanks, never knew that. I've been broadcasting on high power all this time.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, »
i bought one last november it ran thru the whole christmas season no problems
i did not use the attached antenna i used one from the wiki i built
no problem with using the 100 mw setting for me it reached just to my mailbox about 1/8 mile
from transmitter

There seem to be a lot of similar FM transmitters on eBay. I bought one a few years ago, it lasted fine, so I bought another similar one of eBay as a spare.

But read the eBay descriptions carefully... some don't come with adapters; and the second one I bought came with an extending antenna rather than the smaller rubber antenna. Didn't find that is was cheaply built; it has a metal case, and I can't say that I plugged in a mono microphone or turned it on without the antenna.

Meh. It's an FM transmitter. I thought what would be cool when buying a spare transmitter to get one with RDS, but maybe someday...

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, »
mine has a slide switch on back to adjust output
 just set it and forget it type