Author Topic: Garage Door Opener Interference with Smart Strings?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Has anybody here run into any problems operating their garage doors when they show is running with Smart Strings, Ribbons, modules, etc.?

I went over to visit another on this board at his house to look at his RGB setup (it's LOR) and he wasn't able to open up his garage door opener using the keypad mounted just outside his garage door the two times he tried so we had to go around to a "man door". He didn't have a wireless Christmas light setup, though.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Garage Door Opener Interference with Smart Strings?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, »
How many light does he have? The reason that I ask is that the first year I went to LEDs we would loose our internet when I ran my show.My service provider could not figure it out through there online testing so they sent out a technician. He saw how many lights that I had and said that I was creating a "magnetic field" that was knocking out the modem. Changed modem and it fixed the problem so I don't know if I really believe him or not, but maybe there was something to that. I am no expert at all when it come to something like that.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, »
i didn't have any problems with my garage door. mine is a sears craftsman model. i installed cable/internet for 10 years and that would be a new one for me. i had 20,000 leds this year on my house and no issues with my internet.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, »
I had a lot of problems this year with no garage door range.  I'm not sure if it was the show or strings causing it  ... but it also seemed to really degrade my wifi also.

I unplugged everything in the show a couple times and it was still bad.  So I'm almost thinking it might have been some kind of
RF interference caused by perhaps the cords or something ... not sure.

I bought a new apple airport to get my wifi working ... it improved the situation but it was still bad.  Now that the show is taken down ... my wifi is way better, but the garage door range is still fairly limited.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mitch09

Garage Door Opener Interference with Smart Strings?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, »
I found my garage door range was decreased due to my FM transmitter. Once I unplugged it for the seasoning had no problems.