Author Topic: video of ssc-v3 test mode?  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
video of ssc-v3 test mode?
« on: February 17, 2013, »
I converted a SSC v2 to v3 today -- cut the trace, added a jumper, changed the resistor, and replaced the firmware with the SSCv3-test code.

The jumper on the program pins produces a nice, steady white.

The jumper removed shows a rotation from red, to green, to blue -- then a random looking collection of colors.  It cycles back to the start, etc.

I only have one SSC coverted so far, so I don't know if my other observations are considered normal. 

With an 85-pixel, IP68 smart string I start seeing some flickering, seen at pixels go through the dimming ramps, up and down.  Not all of the pixels show the same behavior.
So, I wonder if this is to be expected.  If not, what would explain it?

I think a video of the entire NORMAL test sequence would be very helpful for comparison purpose.  Does anyone have some test sequence footage to share?
Thanks!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mrprez1198

Re: video of ssc-v3 test mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, »
I don't have a video but i experienced the same or very similar results after converting mine.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

v2 top and right, v3 bottom and left.  Interesting you have the same issue.  When I posted this no one else had this problem. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, »
Are you having issues with the SSC working correctly or just do not like the flickers in the test firmware?

The test firmware is meant to show you the unit is working it was not intended to be great seqencing so I need to know is this a problem in operation or only in the test frimware.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, »

v2 top and right, v3 bottom and left.  Interesting you have the same issue.  When I posted this no one else had this problem.
It looks like the same issue.

You aren't seeing problems with regular sequencing, are you?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, »
Are you having issues with the SSC working correctly or just do not like the flickers in the test firmware?

The test firmware is meant to show you the unit is working it was not intended to be great seqencing so I need to know is this a problem in operation or only in the test frimware.

RJ
I don't know of any problems with the standard v3 firmware.

The unevenness (flickering) of the test mode had me worried that there was a problem with my strings, with the SCC, or my application of the modifications. 

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, »
I should have mentioned the frame was made with flex strips.  I recall testing some nodes and they worked fine.  Actually, I remember them looking the best I have ever seen.  Really smooth, good ramps, etc.  Maybe you do have some bad nodes? 

The same issue you see occurs with sequencing unless I use the first iteration of v3 which works flawlessly to me.   I suspect it has something to do with the flex strips.   I am aware that version is not supported any longer but the supported version just doesn't like my flex strips.   

I actually quite like the test sequence...

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline travailen

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, »

I ran 32 SSCs in my show this year. All were modified to ver 3. I ran everything for about three days using the test program looking for failures. All the the LEDs flickered rather randomly during the burn in. However, after reprogramming everything to the show addresses and running the show, there was no noticeable flickering or any other indications that the was any kind of problem. Included in the show was 26ea 90 node flex strips.

Rick S

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, »
I ran 32 SSCs in my show this year. All were modified to ver 3. I ran everything for about three days using the test program looking for failures. All the the LEDs flickered rather randomly during the burn in. However, after reprogramming everything to the show addresses and running the show, there was no noticeable flickering or any other indications that the was any kind of problem. Included in the show was 26ea 90 node flex strips.

Rick S

This is good to know. I thought that was the case as it had not been reported as an issue. But had to check.

RJ

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, »
I do remember that once the newest mod SSC warmed up it seemed to work better but I was worried about it being cold once outside. 

I am beginning to think there are some inconsistencies with Ray's gear.  I know there were some mods to the flex strips to make them easier to cut.  I think there is a similar issue with his dumb nodes.  Seems like an isolated incident but I have confirmed with another member PM and tell me he had the same issue.  It's likely that we both got a batch of same strips made on first thing Monday morning.   ;D 

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, »
It's likely that we both got a batch of same strips made on first thing Monday morning.   ;D 

Or right before Holiday like your last order!  >:D  ???

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, »
yep   <fp.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, »
Ok I got a pm on this from a member. He says it does it even with the regular firmware. Can someone verify this for me. Is it only certain strips? I have some flex strip and can not duplicate it on mine with V3 final firmware.

RJ

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, »
Ok I got a pm on this from a member. He says it does it even with the regular firmware. Can someone verify this for me. Is it only certain strips? I have some flex strip and can not duplicate it on mine with V3 final firmware.

RJ
If we are still talking about flickering on sscv3 test mode, I was seeing this with smart string pixels...  i'll try with square and rectangle nodes.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, »
No I am being told it does it on the normal firmware. I am not worried about test mode at this point. Anyone else having this issue with normal firmware.

RJ