Author Topic: 180 Degree SS Mega Tree  (Read 5958 times)

Offline zwiller

180 Degree SS Mega Tree
« on: February 22, 2013, »
Anyone know if there is a way to do this?  Also, any advice on setting one up with LSP?  I am planning to create a layer for it, do separate controllers for each string, and draw each string manually.  So if there is a better way, I am all ears.  THANKS
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline DanHouston

Re: 180 Degree SS Mega Tree
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, »
I don't remember for sure, but I think when I was playing with this in LSP I let it do a 360 tree for me and then I removed the back 180 set of channels. Seemed like it worked and looked better than my manual drawing, but it has been a while.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, »
There is a guy near me who did a pixel tree at 180 degrees, and I believe it was about 15-20 feel high. I don't remember his username, but I have talked to him on one of the forums, if I remember his username I'll post it on here.

Anyway, I think what you could do using LSP is create a Matrix about where your tree would be. This way you have control over everything in your tree and though it wont be an exact replica, you'll be able to sequence it quite easily.
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, »
could you do it as a matrix in LSP?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, »
Is there an echo in here?   <la..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, »
No echo...  More like flanging or slap back delay.  ;D

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, »
Thanks guys.

Dan, you're idea worked great except that LSP defaults the first string in the center.  That said, the drawing is unbelievably accurate once you input the channels and strings!  In LSP I added 2x channels as needed, drew image, and removed the extra channels.  If there was a way to control starting channel it would be perfect. 

From a bit of research I think guys are using the matrix due to the above issue starting in center.  Sure I could do it as a matrix, but would prefer to view something a bit more more lifelike to make sure things translate well.  I've tried drawing the single string per controller and the results are less than stellar but I wonder if it's worth it for the ease of sequencing.  Maybe virtual controller per string?  Need to keep digging... 

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, »
You could use Nutcracker as it has the ability to do 180 degree pixel trees.

------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

RJ

sometimes we have to repeat it, so it soaks in for zwiller...  >:D   

just kidding Sam
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, »

RJ

sometimes we have to repeat it, so it soaks in for zwiller...  >:D   

just kidding Sam

That might be more true than you realize   ;D

Offline mitch09

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, »
How many strands are you using? I am doing a 180 SS Mega Tree this year and was only going to do 12(6 Looped) strands. I wonder if it will be dense enough?

Ryan

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, »
How many strands are you using? I am doing a 180 SS Mega Tree this year and was only going to do 12(6 Looped) strands. I wonder if it will be dense enough?

Ryan

you can try many different targets in Nutcracker to see what the extra stands will add. My half megatree was 20x120 flex strips. The top had 1" spacing, the bottom was 12" spacing/

it did look good.i would aim for 3-4" spacing halfup your tree.

thanks
sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, »
Thanks guys.

Dan, you're idea worked great except that LSP defaults the first string in the center.  That said, the drawing is unbelievably accurate once you input the channels and strings!  In LSP I added 2x channels as needed, drew image, and removed the extra channels.  If there was a way to control starting channel it would be perfect. 

From a bit of research I think guys are using the matrix due to the above issue starting in center.  Sure I could do it as a matrix, but would prefer to view something a bit more more lifelike to make sure things translate well.  I've tried drawing the single string per controller and the results are less than stellar but I wonder if it's worth it for the ease of sequencing.  Maybe virtual controller per string?  Need to keep digging...

I thought I figured out a way to make it work out, but let me see if I kept anything from it...I'll try to look at it tonight (maybe I threw up my hands in the end too....which might be why I started writing a standalone visualizer that listens for e1.31)
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline urthegman

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, »
If each strand represents a set of channel numbers or a controller, couldn't you just change the starting channel number on each one until it represented the way you want it set up???

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, »
Thanks guys.

I thought I figured out a way to make it work out, but let me see if I kept anything from it...I'll try to look at it tonight (maybe I threw up my hands in the end too....which might be why I started writing a standalone visualizer that listens for e1.31)

Appreciate it.  Seems something very easy for LSP to do but they are fixing bugs first.