Author Topic: 180 Degree SS Mega Tree  (Read 5955 times)

Offline DanHouston

Re: 180 Degree SS Mega Tree
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, »
All coming back to me now....

GOAL: 16 channel front 180 degree tree starting on the left side with a counter clockwise rotation (I think that is what nutcracker works off of)
1) Add controller with 8 Channels start channel 1 (Controller 1)
2) Add controller with 16 Channels start channel 9 (Controller 2)
3) Add controller with 8 Channels start channel 25 (Controller 3)

Right click on Controller 1 and select "Draw Controller Channel Images"
Grab Tree tool and Draw your tree.
    Select Yes to Split Item across multiple channels
        Start channel should be channel 1 from controller 1
        End channel should be last channel of controller 3
        Select OK
    Change the rotation to be Counter Clock Wise and whatever string configuration you have
Click OK after you are done editing your tree in the visualizer.

Right click on Controller 2 and select "Remove Controller" (it contains the back of the Tree)
Move Controller 1 below controller 3 (just drag and drop)
Right click on Controller 1 and select "Configure Controller"
    Select the Channels tab
        Select "Re-number and/or Prefix Channels"
        Change the Start channel number to be 9
Right click on Controller 3 and select "Configure Controller"
    Select the Channels tab
        Select "Re-number and/or Prefix Channels"
        Change the Start channel number to be 1

That will get you a representation of a 180 degree tree with channel 1 starting on the left hand side moving counter clockwise (I think that matches nutcracker)

You'll end up with your tree across two controllers in LSP, but that is really a logical representation since channel numbers is what really matters. That as a pretty simple case (in terms of channel count), but I'm pretty sure it would extend just fine across a big channel count. If my directions are not clear, or it does not work out let me know and I'll try to get some time to do a little screen capture.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline zwiller

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, »
Thanks for the excellent write up Dan!  Will have to check it out. 

With regard to strings per tree, I did alot of estimations and research and found 12 to be a good starting point for a mid sized mega.  Of course, there is alot off personal preference and there is no substitute for seeing it for yourself...  I agree that 3-4" spacing is preferred.  Also keep to keep in mind how your mega fits into the overall display.  Truthfully, I think a mega more as an accent and not a focal point, so I am scaling back accordingly.  IE not getting really intense with text or images with it.  With Zeus in mind I am now thinking more about doing 16 strings but I plan to do some serious testing before committing.  I have however decided on a 10' string length with 3" spacing (40 nodes). 

On the subject of SS megas I am working with Ray to produce a new node that I think will work well for my design.  Basically it will be a smart version of these: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I plan to use strips of ply or abs and hot glue these on the strips.  No drilling, burning holes, zip ties, etc.  I also plan to use these on other elements like 2d minis with a SSC in grouped mode.  I have tested these well and I really like them (dumb versions). 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline FireMedic4Christ

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the excellent write up Dan!  Will have to check it out. 
. . . . . . . .  I have tested these well and I really like them (dumb versions).
By testing do you mean running the pixels or testing the build idea. I am wondering about the hot glue and abs in my Colorado weather. I may be having a senior moment, but what is ply?
Thanks for sharing. You may have just saved me a lot to time on my SS mega tree build.

Brian

Offline zwiller

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, »
Testing the pixels.  I have not tested the build yet, but I will.  Ply is plywood.  Alot of my elements are 1/2'' ply strips painted.  To my surprise, hot glue adhesion of my modules to painted ply was very effective.  I live in Ohio so I think I can vouch.  Do yourself a favor and glue some things up and test in the freezer.  I did and was surprised and just used regular hot melt glue. 

I asked Ray if the modules are ready for release and he said they were not and would not comment on release date other than he would email me.  Concerns me a little but I will wait. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."