Author Topic: Starting out and some questions about smart strings  (Read 4175 times)

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: Starting out and some questions about smart strings
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, »
Hi Towtruck,

I'm working on some Halloween singers for Halloween this year using 110V LED rope light.

Each of mine have about 7 channels driven by DLA LE's.

Here's a pre-view clip:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, »
Wow, this is great news for me.  Thanks.

Ideally I would like to have 3 to 6 nodes in a tight group and then splice in say 6 feet and have another 3 to 6 nodes in a tight group, splice in another 6 feet another group of nodes, etc.

What total length (ie feet) could I run before I potentially get in trouble?

There are two things that you need to need to watch out for with smart strings, signal loss and voltage drop.  As RJ said, you should be able to go about 10 feet between nodes without signal problems but if you need to go farther or for some reason are having issues, you can simply add a node in the middle of the length and simply skip it in the sequence.  Each node recreates the signal minus the channel it claims for itself so you can add nodes to increase length as long as you have the channels available for them.

Since we are using 12V for smart strings, voltage drop is not as much of an issue as it is with 5V strings.  Before I would get to worried about it I would set up a test and see if it is even noticeable.  Since you are using groups pf pumpkins, even if one group is a little dimmer than the other, it simply may not even be seen.  If it is, you can correct it by either slightly dimming the group that it the brightest in the sequence, use a heavier gauge wire between the groups, or inject new power on the dimmer groups.

Rather than splice and solder in the 6 feet between the group of nodes, could I use connecters of some sort (molex?) and then make extension cables?

There is no reason not to do that except for the cost of the molex connectors.  Just make sure that they are either outdoor rated or protected from corrosion or you could have issues with voltage drop and signal loss.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline towtruck

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, »
Hi Towtruck,

I'm working on some Halloween singers for Halloween this year using 110V LED rope light.

Here's a pre-view clip:

Hi Pete.

That looks great.  I also had a look at some of your other videos and they look great as well.  If you don't mind I will drop you a pm later and pick your brain :)

-Steve

Offline towtruck

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, »
There are two things that you need to need to watch out for with smart strings, signal loss and voltage drop.  As RJ said, you should be able to go about 10 feet between nodes without signal problems but if you need to go farther or for some reason are having issues, you can simply add a node in the middle of the length and simply skip it in the sequence.  Each node recreates the signal minus the channel it claims for itself so you can add nodes to increase length as long as you have the channels available for them.

Since we are using 12V for smart strings, voltage drop is not as much of an issue as it is with 5V strings.  Before I would get to worried about it I would set up a test and see if it is even noticeable.  Since you are using groups pf pumpkins, even if one group is a little dimmer than the other, it simply may not even be seen.  If it is, you can correct it by either slightly dimming the group that it the brightest in the sequence, use a heavier gauge wire between the groups, or inject new power on the dimmer groups.

Alright, that clears up some of the doubts I was having with starting with the smart strings and the startup cost for what I wanted to try.

There is no reason not to do that except for the cost of the molex connectors.  Just make sure that they are either outdoor rated or protected from corrosion or you could have issues with voltage drop and signal loss.

Perhaps molex would not be the best choice.  Would you have any suggestions of what might be a better connector for this?  I live in New Brunswick, Canada which is north of Maine, US ... we tend towards the extreme end winter.

I was thinking that I would build 'standard' bases using wood (I like working with wood  :)), say 10" x 10" x 2" and attach 3 to 6 nodes to each.  I wanted to use extension cables with connectors to make it easier to store and setup.  Depending upon what we want for the display we can place a pumpkin on the base or something made of coro.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, »
The 3 cable waterproof connectors are perfect for that.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, »
Hi Towtruck,

Here's a pre-view clip:

Hi Pete.

That looks great.  I also had a look at some of your other videos and they look great as well.  If you don't mind I will drop you a pm later and pick your brain :)

-Steve

Sure, no problem.

Offline towtruck

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, »
The 3 cable waterproof connectors are perfect for that.

Thanks, those are perfect and cheap ... except for the shipping.  I'll get them when I order the leds, once I figure out what to get.

What guage wire should I use to extend them?

I see he has these 10' ones: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

but the added length of them might be close to giving me problems based on others comments.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, by towtruck »

Offline Kasey911

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, »
What guage wire should I use to extend them?

I see he has these 10' ones: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

but the added length of them might be close to giving me problems based on others comments.

The following is listed in the Wiki, would it work for what you're trying to do:

~Kasey~

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, »
If you want to buy here in the US diyledexpress.com has the connectors also (4 core)

Offline towtruck

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, »
The following is listed in the Wiki, would it work for what you're trying to do:

Ugh, I need to spend somemore time in the wiki.  I'll dig around and see if he a a version of it that will stand the elements better.

Thanks!

I may end up buying their 10' cords and cutting them down to a shorter length.

If you want to buy here in the US diyledexpress.com has the connectors also (4 core)

Thanks. When I am ready to start ordering I'll check them out again and see if their cart system is back online.