Author Topic: Everyone please report you build status here for everyone  (Read 5200 times)

Offline TexasStingray

Everyone, While you may have reported back to me your build status, please post here for everyone how you feel your build went.

Thanks
Scott Wanner
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
build went well except for solder bridge i had to remove on sd card board
i did install the red led backwards initially due to no flat side on it
but board was well designed and easily built in about 30 minutes
will be testing over weekend

Offline Ron

Got mine built and running.  Build was very easy and straightforward.  I would prefer the resistor values on the solder mask if possible, but that is just nit picking.  The board works great.  I've got a new show downloaded to it and running.  I'll post a sample video later.

Nice job Scott.

Ron

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
My 10yr old built it, programming it tonight, loading a 92CH star sequence and will test when I get home in the morning. So far, so good....
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline wjgiles50

I had no problems with the build.  Assembly document is very clear but I did notice that there is no Step 2.  I put the processor chip in backwards the first time so it took me a minute to make it work.  After that I missed the instruction on making the file names 8.3 (alright I am not the good at following directions).  After all of those things the device appears to run without problems.  I attached two Lynx and ran three 32 channel seqs on it for about 3 hours yesterday.  I am running the device on 12v.  The heatsink gets a few degrees above ambient temp but that's all.  Today I want to try and run a 16ch sequence on Vixen to one Lynx and the same one on the Panther to another and see how they look side by side.  I will make a video if possible.  I also want to test with MR16's.  As soon as I test with the MR16 I will plug it into my car and test it there.

I think this is a real winner.  The application for flashy standalone display items is endless. 

Offline LtKadeo

Panther report :

I found the build instructions vary simple and straight forward - did not have any problems with the instructions and vary will layout. Only thing that I could think of that in keeping with the non technical persons it might be good to have a note to distinguish the caps ( axial lead and radial lead ) as it is hard to find the value printed.

The layout of the PCB is vary nice and easy to work on - I have opt out of having a case for my unit so in mounting the board I found the SD location in the way and would have been nice to be moved closer to the center - miner problem.

Even though I am not a Vixen software user did not have any problem making a sequence up and using the Panther Converter to make the files needed to run on the SD card. Have had the card running in the Panther for the last day or so with no problems. Will make up several seq and save multiple files and run that next. My setup for testing is kind of straight forward only using a Lynx Express addressed to 1 and I'm only programming 16 channels in Vixen. Will also try and run some none DLA equipment that is DMX control but don't think there should be any problem.

Would like to see the code used in the Arduino would like to have the sketch and library files used to try and program the atmega chip from scratch this is more just for my education then what is needed for DLA project but would be willing to do some programming if needed when this goes into a coop.

All in all found this project vary will thought out and straight forward to get up and running nice job and lots of fun to build.

Ted K

Offline Ron

I put mine in a spare case I had for an MR16 last night.  Lots of space and it is what I had on hand.

Offline wjgiles50

I have looked and there is room to put the device inside both the MR16 case or the Lynx case by mounting them on the lid of the case.

Offline John K

Built my Panther yesterday. 
Went smoothly except for 1 issue. I assumed both resistors were the same.  After swapping them out it is working great.
Being a novice to soldering DLA products I noticed the 2 C1 & C2 (22 pf) capacitors holes were wider than the capacitors themselves. Not having to bend these outward on other builds the holes lined up I just used a toothpick for a spacer and no bending of the capacitors were necessary. I was a little worried I was going to crack them when bending them out word.  I didn't and it worked out in the end.

Unit has been running for 24 hours straight.

I do like the fact you unplug power and plug it back in and it starts up. This will go good with the X10 I run for my house.

Offline wjgiles50

I do like the fact you unplug power and plug it back in and it starts up. This will go good with the X10 I run for my house.

I know this is off topic but nice to know there is someone else that uses X10 out there in the world.  I find it real handy around the house and use it to turn on/off all of my static outdoor lights.  Cheap and effective.  I have a couple of X10 relays that I am planning to use to drive the reset.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, by wjgiles50 »

Offline TexasStingray

This has triggered a new topic, How are you using/planning on using the DMX Player. I want to hear more about the X10.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
testing for 4 hours with le seems to work flawlessly
building my seq with lors3 software
also using walwart for etherdongle to power, supplies 8 plus volts as measured with voltmeter
also using 8 gig sandisk card for data

Offline TexasStingray

FYI, Arduino should not be powered with less than 7 volts.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline TexasStingray

building my seq with lors3 software

How are you using LOR3 to build your sequences?
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
it is real easy since lor saves the seq *.lms to my xlights directory
and i use xlights file convertor to make *.seq file from lms file
then i rename file using all caps and the 8 charter file name
then i copy to sd card