Author Topic: Info on Smart Strings Status  (Read 3587 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Info on Smart Strings Status
« on: February 27, 2013, »
A few things. I wanted to post to let everyone know. Things that I get pm's about but was not ready to post about yet, and other info.   

1 - There is a Coop for the SS stuff coming it is being delayed for a few extra weeks because of the testing of a slight parts change which looks to cut the cost of the SSC by maybe 20% - 25%.

2 - There is a design for a SSC device for things like Mega Trees ect. It has been on the waiting list as the Conductor/slave has been ahead of releasing it. It should be very cheap and lets you use your SSC's for the seperated areas where they are intended to be flexible, cost effective and handy. And yes it uses easier to change fuses as has been asked for a number of times.

3 - There will be DMX firmware for the conductor. It is just the last on the list since smart strings do not use DMX. there is just no reason for me to be updating 4 sets of firmware while still developing. Once the firmware is ready for release with all the changes and everyone is happy with it we will in quick order release DMX versions.

4 - I have some other SS related stuff that will be another game changer coming.

5 - Yes there is a prebuilt version of the Express coming. It will be from someone other than me and larger than me. And no I can not talk about it beyond this so please do not continue to PM me about it. These things take time and it is not in my control so be patient. When there is an announcement I will be allowed to post about it. Just know that it does not impact us and our coops. This has been the concern that seems to be causing the chatter. I would have never done anything that would have negatively impacted the DLA world.

6 - DLA will be at the Academy again this year. I will be reaching out for teachers soon and hope that when I ask a number of you will step up. Currently I am not accepting as I have some people that help put it together working out some stuff and we will be ready in the next few weeks to post and find out who is willing to help. I will again be asking other DIY communities for teachers to come teach on non commercial non DLA stuff. I hope we can increase them this year. I hope to see you all there as I will be bringing some stuff you will not see anywhere but there at least for a while. We are going to setup some coops that people at the academy can pre join and we may be delieveing some coops like we did last year so come to the academy and save on shipping on your kits. We also hope to create the largest display you have ever seen in one room all sync to music.

RJ

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Kasey911

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, »
RJ,

As always, I can't wait to see what you come up with next.  I have been coming to DLA for a while now, and only recently have I been in the position to start actively participating. DLA is the only forum I read on a daily basis and that is entirely due to your vision and dedication to this hobby. While there are other sites and communities out there, none of them seem to feel like home as DLA does.

The folks here are an amazing group of people and have never made me feel unwanted or out of place when asking, what many might call stupid, questions.

I look forward to what the future holds and I just wanted to express my sincere gratitude for the community you started.
~Kasey~

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Info on Smart Strings Status
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, »
Wow this is all so exciting and I just coming back to being extremely thankful for RJ and everyone on this board who makes these things possible !!  <res.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, »
 8)  <pop..  <;d

Offline txburr

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, »
Very cool thanks for the update

Offline elcommandante

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, »
Thanks for the update and all that you do.  Can't wait for the Academy!

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, »
Delay in the SSC coop?  Why am I always last to know?  ;D   j/k  Sounds great!!  Anticipation is killing me!!    <pop..

One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, »
Wow...  Insert I am not worthy emoticon.

<;d

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline galgon

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, »
Awesome.  Are these things going to be debuted in an Steve jobs style webcast?  I cannot wait for the and one more thing...
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, »
I have been holding off on Smart Strings however this year is going to be the year!!!  I cannot wait to see the new/modified genius that RJ has come up with!  The money is in my pocket and it is ready to  <md.. (ment it to appear as if burning a hole in my pocket lol) Thank you RJ!!!!!!!!! <pop..
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, »
Same here!!
Thanks
Ralph

Offline FireMedic4Christ

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, »
Thanks to RJ and company for making this such a fun and exciting hobby. Can't wait to see what is in store.

Brian

Offline thestig

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, »
RJ, I know you are not going to like this post but I have to ask anyways. Will your new hardware be out this year ( mega tree ssc setup) ? The reason I ask is because I'm about to start soldering a ton of ssc's and order pixels for my mega tree. If so, will the channel load be the same (128 nodes per string)?

Thank you for everything that you have done for this community. Everyone loves what you do for us except my wife and my wallet :)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, »
I can only say little about new things because it then put additional load on me since I have to live up to what I say.

The plan is to demo the Zeus controller at the academy and open the coop for it there to orders. It will up to 128 nodes per string just as with all SSC equipment.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, »
ZEUS: Coolest equipment name to date!   <res. 

Thanks for asking Stig, I had same dilemma. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."